Board logo

Dash - what gear display???
Kriss - 27/12/07 at 06:55 PM

hi chaps!

I got a koso dash RXN1 i think (or alike) but it doesnt have a display as to what gear I am in. I have seen a tiny digital dial one someones car that counts 1-6. (or did I imagine it)

can anyone tell me what my options are and where and how much? I know someof you may say I dont need one but I feel I think it could be a safe idea having some type of guide and idea of what gear each is capable of for passengers!

cheers in advance!

mad gaz - 27/12/07 at 07:02 PM

Kriss u need gipro gear indicator . mk sportscar are dealers .they are about 100

mad gaz - 27/12/07 at 07:04 PM

gipro picture Rescued attachment gulf indy 010.jpg
Rescued attachment gulf indy 010.jpg

BenB - 27/12/07 at 07:21 PM

You could build one.....

http://website.lineone.net/~btbromilow/first.htm

You might need to tweek the programming slightly if you haven't got 6 gears and setting up the switches to actuate at the right time is tricky... but if you DIY it's cheap....

stuart_g - 27/12/07 at 08:10 PM

datatool also do one that looks the same thing as the gipro.

PAUL FISHER - 27/12/07 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g

Looks the same but the gipro has a built in retard eliminator,for most of the popular applications

fluidslvr - 27/12/07 at 08:57 PM

Acumen DG8 gear indicator ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acumen-DG8-gear-indicator-Blue-Red-Green-White-Displays_W0QQitemZ260197135543QQihZ016QQcategoryZ25643QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

stuart_g - 27/12/07 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g

Looks the same but the gipro has a built in retard eliminator,for most of the popular applications

Come on it's only a couple of wires, surely that can't be too hard

tks - 27/12/07 at 09:24 PM

i can program suchs a chip for postage costs..

incl. the chip itself..

tks

Hellfire - 28/12/07 at 12:31 PM

The GIPro is far better than either the Acumen or the Datatool gear indicators. The Acumen and Datatool GI's calculate the gear you are in by comparing speed against RPM and tends to be a bit hit and miss in it's readings, whereas the GIPro uses the gear position sensor and is instant and accurate every time without fail.

Unfortunately, there isn't one available for the Yamaha's. GIPro only manufacture GI's for Suzuki, Kawasaki and Triumph models.

Phil

[Edited on 28-12-07 by Hellfire]

Kriss - 28/12/07 at 12:50 PM

hmmm I am in two minds now about this.

Might look a tad rubbish as my koso and buttons will all be flush mounted then this block will just sit there on the CF dash.

secondly, I want one to know what gear I am in instantly like you said HELLFIRE.

are there any other options?

Is it really nessecary?

cheers

zxrlocost - 28/12/07 at 01:13 PM

not necessary if you ask me

youll soon get used to it

gingerprince - 28/12/07 at 01:14 PM

If you want the best of both worlds, how about this: -

- Digidash etc calculate gear based on speed/rpm ratio and therefore if setup correctly (ratios etc) are usually pretty accurate, but can lag slightly behind real life until it works things out.

- That home made thing sets to 0 when in neutral, then senses when you press up/down and adds/subtracts accordingly - problem with this is if you miss a gear it goes to pot.

I wouldn't think it'd be beyond the realms of possibility to program a suitable PIC to combine the 2, i.e.: -

- Will display 0/N when a neutral signal is found.
- Will operate ala the homemade one, whereby a button on up/down makes it instantly change.
- At the same time a calculation is made against speed/rpm to confirm whether it really was a gearchange and this overrides the display if it seems inaccurate.

That way you get the speed of the instant button, but the accuracy of the actual ratio to iron out missed gears etc.

Of course it will involve having ADC (can you get PIC's with ADC's for measuring pulses etc?) to receive speed/rpm signals, and have a lookup table (probably programmed directly with the PIC programmer on a per-application basis) rather than clever interface, but I'm sure there are people on here that have the knowhow to do something like this?

Probably overkill, but another viewpoint for you

[Edited on 28/12/07 by gingerprince]

Hellfire - 28/12/07 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost

I reckon a Gear Indicator is a necessity. They're invaluable on trackdays and save you going for that non-existent seventh gear whilst road driving. Besides which, there are too many other distractions whilst driving without having to count which gear you're in.

Phil

tks - 28/12/07 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
If you want the best of both worlds, how about this: -

- Digidash etc calculate gear based on speed/rpm ratio and therefore if setup correctly (ratios etc) are usually pretty accurate, but can lag slightly behind real life until it works things out.

- That home made thing sets to 0 when in neutral, then senses when you press up/down and adds/subtracts accordingly - problem with this is if you miss a gear it goes to pot.

I wouldn't think it'd be beyond the realms of possibility to program a suitable PIC to combine the 2, i.e.: -

- Will display 0/N when a neutral signal is found.
- Will operate ala the homemade one, whereby a button on up/down makes it instantly change.
- At the same time a calculation is made against speed/rpm to confirm whether it really was a gearchange and this overrides the display if it seems inaccurate.

That way you get the speed of the instant button, but the accuracy of the actual ratio to iron out missed gears etc.

Of course it will involve having ADC (can you get PIC's with ADC's for measuring pulses etc?) to receive speed/rpm signals, and have a lookup table (probably programmed directly with the PIC programmer on a per-application basis) rather than clever interface, but I'm sure there are people on here that have the knowhow to do something like this?

Probably overkill, but another viewpoint for you

[Edited on 28/12/07 by gingerprince]

I could setup suchs a project quite easyly incl. making the PCB for ya then with a laptop it would be easy to setup the settings and if new firmware is there also.

i'm also not a big fan of those microswitches
it looks like crap and in fact it is crap.

problem is that not every bike uses a gearlocator switch but only a neutral one.

Kawa and some other brands use the gear locator switch needed by the bikes mcu for calculating ram air (i think)

anyway if there is enough market i can build this.

Tks

p.d. ADC is not needed, only when you have a variable voltage range. (a pulse is 0 or 5 volts..)

If i then start at this then i will also build the board so that it can also be used if you shift using air or electric(solenoids) i will also build in an injection/spark interupt this hardly increases the costs (3 pounds) but does increase the market interested

[Edited on 28/12/07 by tks]

Slider - 28/12/07 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost

As a bike instructor for many years, I used to tell the students that "it doesn't matter what gear your in... as long as its the right one."
You should know by your engine sound/revs if its the right one or not. We had an indicator on one of our smaller Suzuki's as standard and it put me off 'coz i kept looking at the damn thing, lol.

That said, i think going for seventh might be an issue in a car as your not doing 160 + at the time.

Slider.

Kriss - 28/12/07 at 02:30 PM

Chris D, whata re my options and can you u2u me the associated prices? Might be best to go for one afterall.

richard thomas - 28/12/07 at 08:14 PM

I used one of these - http://www.geartronics.co.uk/products.htm

nice kit. easy fit for suzuki, oem plugs into the gear position sensor plug on the gearbox. not sure if they do that for all manufacturers though...

in my opinion, definitely worth having one in a bec!

Crazy Eddie - 28/12/07 at 11:48 PM

Kriss for what it is worth I looked long and hard at these when I first started driving mine. I looked at ones other people had fitted (worth doing ) and to be honest I by the time I thought I had decided what to do I found myself driving the car fine without one.

On the road I occationally go for 7th but on the track, IMHO, it would serve no purpose whatsoever. Therefore have now decided not to bother.

My advice is pop round and look at fitted ones and how they look / work and see which you prefer. But I would have thought you may end up doing the same as me

Slider - 29/12/07 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Eddie
Kriss for what it is worth I looked long and hard at these when I first started driving mine. I looked at ones other people had fitted (worth doing ) and to be honest I by the time I thought I had decided what to do I found myself driving the car fine without one.

On the road I occationally go for 7th but on the track, IMHO, it would serve no purpose whatsoever. Therefore have now decided not to bother.

My advice is pop round and look at fitted ones and how they look / work and see which you prefer. But I would have thought you may end up doing the same as me

I think thats a slightly tipsy, i told you so. There is only one gear to be in and its the right one so you dont need an indicator.
If your on the track and you've spun into the gravel, youve lost anyway, just keep clutching and downshifting till it won't go any more and you know your in first. At least you havn't fallen off, wrecked your £1k leathers, your £500 helmet, your £250 boots and a oner's worth or gloves.... When your that p***ed off with getting it wrong, why have something that counts you down before your very eyes as you recover your error?
On the road, just throw another gear in untill you've run out. You know (with a little experience) with a glance at the speedo that you are in top gear so why look at another gadget that says '6'. The speed tells you that your breaking the law, not the little blue digit.

BUT the little red Dude on my shoulder tells me i want one too because they look nice and trick.

You don't need em'... but they are cool.

Please tell me not to post anymore after the pub if i've filled this space with blx.

Jon Ison - 29/12/07 at 09:52 AM

I'm in the not a necessity gang.

I have had them still got one in fact in the digi dash but never look at it, its all done with the ears and seat of your pants if you have time to go into a corner looking at a gear indicator thinking "mmmmmm 3 ? 4? then you aint going in quick enough.

The one aid I find useful on a BEC is a good in your face shift light, they rev up that fast when going for out n out speed n acceleration you can hit the limiter from time to time (its like hitting a brick wall as any bikers & bec drivers will know), a good in your face sequential shift light can help, well it does me anyway

Kriss - 29/12/07 at 12:26 PM

cheers all for your replies.

think i will go without and then if i want to upgrade i can. If i do upgrade i will probably go for a more functional dash like ETB etc.

i remeber my clio v6 had 6 gears and at first i was really struggling what gear to use (had a 1.2 punto before) but soon adjusted to engine note and speed what gear to use.

cheers again