Board logo

CBR 1000F 1993 in a MK-Indy
benfred - 11/7/07 at 11:58 AM

What about a CBR 1000F from 1993 in a MK-Indy?
Is this a good match?

regards

Ben van Niersen
Holland

Hellfire - 11/7/07 at 11:59 AM

That really depends on your expectations and your budget but yes, they are a good match.

Phil

TimC - 11/7/07 at 12:06 PM

What like this one?

I used to own that car so I have some experience. A few points:

1. The engine is heavy when compared to more modern 1000cc engines. 80kg Vs 60kg in simple terms.
  2. Engine will make 130-ish bhp at the sprocket with a good exhaust and dynojet kit.
  3. Gearing is VERY low, so you will need either a 3.14 or 3.38 diff or very large (17" wheels.
  4. The oil cooler is seperate to the engine so there is some additional complexity there, Likewise water plumbing is less simple than say a Fireblade.

One final very positive note to make is that the engines are apparently VERY strong.

Oooo, one more - you'll need a Barnett uprated clutch!

benfred - 11/7/07 at 12:08 PM

Phil,

i can buy a damaged CBR (small front damage, driveable) for 1250 euro (950 pounds).
A friend of mine is tuner of motorbikes (www.pajic-racing.nl) and i think it isn't a very difficult job to get more bhp out of the engine.

Are there things to think about if i buy this engine?

Ben

benfred - 11/7/07 at 12:11 PM

Oooo, one more - you'll need a Barnett uprated clutch!

Hello TimC

what is a Barnett uprated clutch?

thanks

Ben

TimC - 11/7/07 at 12:19 PM

The standard clutch is not up to the job of hauling the weight of a car. As a result you need to fit a stronger one. I used a Barnett one from www.pdq1.co.uk but others are available. Perhaps it's something that your friend could help you to source?

benfred - 11/7/07 at 12:40 PM

Tim,

are you gone use the old "Gulf" colors?
Looks very nice (i think)!!

I was thinking of using the new colors.

Ben

TimC - 11/7/07 at 12:45 PM

Yes - my Indy was black and chrome so this one is going to be completely different!