Board logo

Engine tuning in/out of car.
TimC - 3/4/07 at 12:45 PM

Was talking to another forum member who mentioned that he'd been told that the best way to tune (jet carbs etc etc) a R1 engine like mine was to send it to someone to put it on an engine dyno.

Is this the case? If so I'll do it now rather than rolling-road the car once it's done.

Your thoughts please.....

BenB - 3/4/07 at 01:12 PM

IIRC the only advantage of doing an engine dyno rather than a RR is that it's more accurate (in terms of not having to take transmission loses into account). But in terms of accuracy of jetting it would be no better.

In fact it would a bit of a PITA. You'ld have to ensure that the same fuel setup was used, same exhausts etc etc. Setting it up in the place would take time, turning up with a system already hooked up but not in a car would make transfering it into the garage tricky... Can't think of a single advantage?!!? Unless we're talking more than just a re-jet. If its a head-off or sump off job then having the engine out might make the engine easier to work on...

I'd get it in the car then take it to TTS or similar....

TimC - 3/4/07 at 01:21 PM

Back to plan A then - cheers.

02GF74 - 3/4/07 at 01:56 PM

It would cost you more to bolt for the standalone engine dyno'ing since the engine needs to be bolted down, exaust fitted, cooling system fitted, bolintg a load on to the crank/gearbox etc:

all of that will be in place when fitted to a car so you just drive on and have your wheels tied down - plus you can get more realistic cooling of air via the cowl (perhaps?)

lsdweb - 3/4/07 at 07:49 PM

Tim

I looked at this as nobody, originally, wanted to touch an R1 engined single seater on an Emerald ECU! The cost of 'building' the engine into a dyno was huge and it wouldn't be running on the final exhaust, cooling system etc..

I manged to persuade Tommy (Wilwood Motors up on the A470) to do the rolling road. That reminds me I must book it back in..........

Regards

Wyn

TimC - 4/4/07 at 07:20 AM

Good ol' Tommy - he tuned my Twin 40'd Nova 10 years ago!

lsdweb - 4/4/07 at 07:40 AM

Yeah

He's very good. First impressions of his place aren't brilliant to say the least but he's a genuine good guy!

W

amalyos - 4/4/07 at 08:04 PM

Tim, I took mine to TTS a couple of weeks ago, and Rich improved mine from 95BHP at the wheels, to 122.

Most of that was changing my home made air intake setup, it was running too rich, but he said my homemade Airbox was good, so all I had to do was fix my remote filter unit straight onto the airbox with a silicon hose, and change the main jets from 130 to 135.
Didn't even need a dynojet kit, saved me a few quid.

I'll put a picture on tomorrow.

Steve

amalyos - 4/4/07 at 08:19 PM

New set up Rescued attachment Airbox.JPG
Rescued attachment Airbox.JPG