Board logo

R1 thermostat relocation
chockymonster - 31/5/06 at 08:11 PM

My 03 injected R1 engine needs the thermostat relocating as it protrudes over the chassis rail. Has anyone done this as I'm not sure of the best way.

The standard housing has 3 connections, so relocating it to the top hose isn't really an option.

smart51 - 31/5/06 at 08:15 PM

could you move the radiator a bit so that the sensor clears the chassis?

ChrisGamlin - 31/5/06 at 08:22 PM

As also posted to the BEC List

Top hose plumbing
Top hose plumbing

Header Tank plumbing
Header Tank plumbing

I basically took the front metal pipe that the stat mounts to and chopped it in 2. I then mounted the thermostat towards the front of the car and used the two metal pipe halves to connect it all back together

I wouldn't connect them both together personally even if you could work out the 3 inlet dilema. The water needs to flow up to and past the back of the stat in order for it to sense the temperature and open. If you plumb both together then the water will flow straight out and back into the head, it won't flow up the dead end to the stat so the stat won't be exposed to water at the actual engine temp, meaning it wont open at the right temperature and might not open at all.

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 31/5/06 by ChrisGamlin]

JoaoCaldeira - 31/5/06 at 09:37 PM

Hi Paul.

Can you please post a pic.

I do have the same engine in the (almost) same chassis and I didn't notice any problem.

Joao

speed8 - 1/6/06 at 05:14 AM

This is the same problem I have. I thought it might just clear the bodywork but nope, the little pipe coming out fouls on the bonnet so it looks like relocation is the only option.

fesycresy - 1/6/06 at 07:22 AM

When I moved mine, I fixed it with rubber lined p clips around the hoses and mounted this on box section pillars with long cap heads.

chockymonster - 1/6/06 at 08:44 AM

Here's my proposed layout (also posted on the bec list )

proposed cooling layout
proposed cooling layout

It seems to be too simple, am I missing something? Apart from the 2 90 degree bends I need to get around the bottom chassis post!!

[Edited on 1/6/06 by chockymonster]

G.Man - 1/6/06 at 10:38 AM

dont use flexi, use 2 L bends and join them for the right length

flexi never works right in my experience

chockymonster - 1/6/06 at 11:14 AM

Funny,

I've never had an issue with the samco superflex stuff. What problems have you had with it?