Board logo

Bec Prop shafts
pathfinder - 20/9/05 at 08:00 PM

How have people modified their Sierra prop shaft for use in bike engined cars? I know that you can buy purpose built props but im after the low cost option. Photos would be a great help!

Cheers

pathfinder - 20/9/05 at 08:35 PM

think this is what i need but its not standard Sierra is it? or is it? Rescued attachment prop
Rescued attachment prop

Guinness - 20/9/05 at 09:25 PM

I got my donor prop modified by MK, they basically cut the front splined bit off and weld another UJ and sliding joint onto the front. This UJ then bolts up to an adaptor that sits on the bike gearbox output. As an alternative I know MNR do a completely new unit for about £280.

I know its tempting to go locost with a prop shaft, but think of the consequences of a failure. A steel tube spinning at a 1000 rpm or more, flailing about inside a transmission tunnel thats about 3" from your or your passengers thigh. If in doubt have a search for Woodsters comments in "why did this happen" and Billy's "prop failed at high speed".

Sorry, but if you can find someone who has the skill to cut, modify, weld and balance a prop then use them, otherwise don't risk it. IMHO.

Mike

mkblade - 20/9/05 at 09:59 PM

mk did mine a while back now modifed sierra

Avoneer - 20/9/05 at 10:21 PM

Try Dunning and Fairbank, Leeds

I got mine made to order for £160.

That's brand new, with a centre bearing, torque resiliant tube and sliding rear section and guarantee.

Pat...

Hellfire - 21/9/05 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Try Dunning and Fairbank, Leeds

I got mine made to order for £160.

That's brand new, with a centre bearing, torque resiliant tube and sliding rear section and guarantee.

Pat...

BL00DY 'ELL that's a good price

Coose - 21/9/05 at 08:06 AM

Mine was a fair bit more than that from D&F, but I had my torque tube fitted at a later date.... I would highly recommend them though!!!

Winston Todge - 21/9/05 at 02:15 PM

The torque resilient tube is basically a tube connected to the engine running inside another tube connected to the diff with rubber effectively connecting the two tubes together?

Is this correct and what are the main advantages over a solid prop?

Less vibration and backlash when lifting off at low revs?

And Coose is there a large difference between a solid and a TRT prop?

Thanks for any help,

Chris.