Board logo

the right exhaust
badding - 28/8/05 at 08:30 PM

Hello folks,

Is this 2001 exhaust any good for my 98 zx9r engine, the 2001 exhaust has pipes welded between the main pipes to help it "breath" better, but this system is for the 2001 engine and not for the 98 engine, is this going to be a problem

chrisf - 28/8/05 at 09:58 PM

no photo?

badding - 30/8/05 at 05:04 PM

Rescued attachment exhaust2.JPG
Rescued attachment exhaust2.JPG

badding - 30/8/05 at 05:11 PM

And this is my recently bought engine a 98' zx9r inclusive wire loom, cdi, exhaust (don't know if it's the right one?...) and carbs nice one Rescued attachment engine2.JPG
Rescued attachment engine2.JPG

badding - 30/8/05 at 05:14 PM

Is it wise to buy an original zx9r clocks from ebay or to buy a substitute digital clock from DET or another make?..

Lotusmark2 - 30/8/05 at 05:30 PM

I would not be as worried about the age of the engine/header but that pipe welded into the manifold???????
That is a serious bodge job and I can not see how it can do anything but loose power due to the destruction of the harmonic back pressure.

MikeR - 30/8/05 at 05:45 PM

i'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but that pipe welded between primaries goes against my understanding on exhausts. Can someone explain it in more detail?

Lotusmark2 - 30/8/05 at 05:52 PM

Mike, did you want the theory of performance exhausts explaining or the theory behind that welded pipe.

JoelP - 30/8/05 at 05:54 PM

i was going to post that it looks stupid, but he worded it like it was a standard part?! so i thought id trust the 'kwacker' engineers maybe not

MikeR - 30/8/05 at 06:02 PM

exhaust theory i think i've got - tunned length for the pulses to resonate and scavenge from the head on the next revolution. What i'm curious about is how this exhaust works.

Looking at it again, i was wondering if the tubes between are just there for strengthening of the exhaust......?

Jon Ison - 30/8/05 at 06:02 PM

Ive seen em linked like that before, don't know the theory though, someone will come along and tell us.

Looks pretty decent job too me, same welds as rest of exhaust.....

badding - 30/8/05 at 07:29 PM

I'm not sure if I am going to use this exhaust, maybe I cut it off right in front where it is welded, I think it has to do something with the airflow between the cylinders, a sort off suck and blow effect.

I paid 650 euro for the engine and everything that came with it, I think a fair price..

Guinness - 30/8/05 at 07:36 PM

I've just sold a set of titanium pipes on ebay that were joined 1-2 and 3-4.

See

but that's no help as to what the advantages are of joining them. Perhaps the middle pipe doesn't penetrate the primaries?

Mike

MikeR - 30/8/05 at 09:19 PM

right, fill one pipe with water, put your hands over both ends and see if it pours out of another pipe, that will prove if they are linked.