Board logo

r1 hitting limiter at 9000rpm!
Oliver Jetson - 12/8/05 at 10:41 AM

Decided to test the rev limit in neutral (as I can't drive it due to unfinished clutch cable). Reved it and it bounces on the limiter at 9000 (according to my tacho). I have an Elliot tacho designed for 4 cylinder engines that has a scale upto 16000. It takes a link off one of my coils so I need to see if attaching it to the other coil makes a difference (can't see it will though).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Oli

Coose - 12/8/05 at 03:47 PM

Probably the tacho. R1 cdi's are usually pretty good.....

Hellfire - 12/8/05 at 04:10 PM

If the tacho is correct then it sounds like a mismatched CDi from a different bike maybe.

ChrisGamlin - 12/8/05 at 05:30 PM

.....unless the ECU limits it to 9k in neutral? The 2002/3 engine has a neutral feed into the multiple startup relay thing but I cant remember off hand if it feeds into the ECU from there or not. Id put money on a miscalibrated tacho though.

the_fbi - 13/8/05 at 01:28 PM

Surely if there are 2 coils and you're only taking a trigger off one, it'll read half the actual RPM as its only seeing half the actual sparks?

ChrisGamlin - 13/8/05 at 01:54 PM

Most tacho's are configurable or designed to take a feed off one coil so that shouldnt be an issue

Oliver Jetson - 13/8/05 at 04:58 PM

I've heard other people saying that it maybe a saftey thing that the ecu limits it in neutral to save you blowing the engine up when its cold so maybe that's it. I won't be able to work on the car for a week or so now anyway coz I'm in leicestershire and it's in shropshire!