Board logo

ZX10s
BobM - 21/6/10 at 11:01 AM

Starting to build my BDN soon for next year's RGB season and need to make my mind up on engines.

Tempted to go ZX10. Does anyone have any experience of the 2008 engine? Seems the 06/07 are OK on a wet sump and pretty strong, are the casings the same, will the sump for the earlier engine fit the 2008 motor?

jossey - 21/6/10 at 11:26 AM

not sure about your questions but im building with a ZZR1100 engine which i hear is very simular.

good luck with your build.

i think you can get a dry sump kit for your zx10!

dave

bi22le - 21/6/10 at 12:33 PM

AB Performance would know all about them.

Give Andy a shout.

Steve Hignett - 21/6/10 at 06:28 PM

As above, Andy of ABP 01449 73 66 33

He does a special sump for the 05/06 for definite, one phone call and you'll know what you need to do for the 08...

BobM - 21/6/10 at 08:48 PM

Thanks guys, I was talking to Andy yesterday and know he does a sump for 06/07, also talked to Tony Gaunt who runs the 06 ZX10 Wolfe in RGB. I didn't ask Andy about the 08 engine and Tony wasn't sure. TimC reckons the 08 is the same casings.

I'll give Andy a ring tomorrow.

TimC - 21/6/10 at 11:07 PM

I've read it on one of the yank forums and visually they appear to be the same...

[Edited on 22/6/10 by TimC] Rescued attachment 06and0810sok.JPG
Rescued attachment 06and0810sok.JPG

BobM - 22/6/10 at 10:21 AM

Well I've spoken to Andy who seems to agree the sump etc. should be fine for the 2008 motor but wasn't able to comment on robustness/reliability. Trouble is Andy's main problem with Kawasaki's is they aren't made by Mr. Honda

motorcycle_mayhem - 1/7/10 at 09:44 AM

Let me know what you decide....

I'm contemplating a similar issue, which 1 litre to put in the car over winter. I have a strong 'previous' with the GSXR1000 family - but left yet another pile of engine bits over Pembrey a few weeks ago. If the little units are as solid as the latest 1400's, then Kawasaki have my full attention. The wet sump criteria is a must, it must be capable of surviving on a baffle plate and a chop job, whatever.

AndyB was clearly constructed by Honda, and as such he's a very reliable guy with lots of solid thinking!

No sense in a 'which engine' debate here, but the dyno currently suggests that the ZX10 is up there on the top of my list. I'm *seriously* considering a departure from Suzuki for 2011..... It's a big decision for me, since I've been VERY competitive with the GSXR1000 units, don't want to screw up with a change.

SO, yes, please let me know what you decide.... which year and why.

MK9R - 1/7/10 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Let me know what you decide....

I'm contemplating a similar issue, which 1 litre to put in the car over winter. I have a strong 'previous' with the GSXR1000 family - but left yet another pile of engine bits over Pembrey a few weeks ago. If the little units are as solid as the latest 1400's, then Kawasaki have my full attention. The wet sump criteria is a must, it must be capable of surviving on a baffle plate and a chop job, whatever.

AndyB was clearly constructed by Honda, and as such he's a very reliable guy with lots of solid thinking!

No sense in a 'which engine' debate here, but the dyno currently suggests that the ZX10 is up there on the top of my list. I'm *seriously* considering a departure from Suzuki for 2011..... It's a big decision for me, since I've been VERY competitive with the GSXR1000 units, don't want to screw up with a change.

SO, yes, please let me know what you decide.... which year and why.

What car are you running it in, the biggest stopper for a zx10 instal is diff ratios. I would put one in my live axle fury, but the diff ratio doesn't suit the low primary ratio of the ZX If you are running a chain diff you obviously have no such worries

BobM - 1/7/10 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhemSO, yes, please let me know what you decide.... which year and why.

I've got a 2007 ZX10 on the way.

All these superbike engines have made a bit more power year on year, usually at higher and higher rpm. The 2006/7 engines are pretty similar with just some minor internal changes. We know the 2006 works fine on a wet sump as Tony Gaunt's run one in RGB for 2 years.

There was another power hike in 2008 but that was with the addition of secondary injectors and some more internal changes. I figured the small gain from this wasn't enough to outweigh the disadvantage of a further departure from what I know works. the secondary injectors are also a bit of an issue making the engine taller and making it more difficult sorting a good airbox in the car. The 2008 engines are also quite a bit more expensive.

Another factor is that the ZX10 motors seem to gain more from adding a good exhaust and fuelling than the others.

motorcycle_mayhem - 1/7/10 at 01:48 PM

BobM - you're clearly a ZX10 model mentor here, so here goes...

Were there any major geabox/crank/engine mounting changes of the recent years?

A comparison would be the GSXR1000 differences. The K3-K4 were essentially unchanged from the K1-K2, except for a 32 bit management, same loom and stuff though. Throttle bodies changed, membrane injectors instead of pintle type.
The K5-K6 units gained the 2nd row of injectors (AKA the ZX10 changes you mentioned), one block mounting was lost, but the crankcase mountings and layouts remained indentical.
Things changed dramatically K7-8, mounts and dimensions, along with loom revision and a 'power mode' switch. K9 and the stacked gearbox wrecked any easy regressive adaptation to your car.

K1-K6 is where I'm at, with a raft of spares (but a block and crank shortage). That raft makes changing to K7-K10 as viable as a ZX10 swap, because it's all so different.

OK, gearing, for the other viewer: The GSXR ran with a 3.21 diff., 22" dia slicks, and needed a sub 3.21 to really get going. Wasn't ideal. I now have a Jedi - chain drive, infinite ratios :-) Ideal

BobM - 1/7/10 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
BobM - you're clearly a ZX10 model mentor here, so here goes...
Wrong ... but I've been asking people who know more than me
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhemWere there any major geabox/crank/engine mounting changes of the recent years?

We don't think so, confident 2006 and 2007 the same, we also think 2008 is the same crankcase.
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhemOK, gearing, for the other viewer: The GSXR ran with a 3.21 diff., 22" dia slicks, and needed a sub 3.21 to really get going. Wasn't ideal. I now have a Jedi - chain drive, infinite ratios :-) Ideal
Yes, gearing for a front engined car with ZX10 might well be a problem but I'm going mid-engined with chain drive so not an issue.