Board logo

What should I be looking for?
200mph - 31/7/09 at 04:49 PM

Having decided to sell up my build parts and facing the prospect of buying a car, I can't deny that the fact I leak body fluids (and I don't mean tears!) when I think of paddle shifters which tells me I should be looking for a BEC.

I'm starting now to look at what my options are, and will have a budget of around £6500. I'm pretty clueless about BECs, but from the top of my head am thinking Indy or MNR are the likely contenders.

I'd be prepared to pay a little extra if I got passed on the track a little less often so might give you an idea of my focus.

What sort of car might I be looking at for the money / is it a realistic budget?

Cheers n beers

Mark

[Edited on 31/7/09 by 200mph]

daniel mason - 31/7/09 at 05:06 PM

with that budget you might struggle to find a decent newish mnr! i thought i had done well to find a good spec part built mnr for just over £6,000. am glad i did though.they are superb.and if i was in your position i would try to stretch my budget to mnr Rescued attachment mnrbl.jpg
Rescued attachment mnrbl.jpg

200mph - 31/7/09 at 05:34 PM

Thanks Daniel - your car is beautiful. I'd be prepared to go a higher for something half as nice as that!

Would £7.5k - £8k be more realistic?

Cheers

Mark

richardh - 31/7/09 at 05:57 PM

second on the mnr.
mines up on pistonheads but is a little higher than your budget.

MK's are good too to be fair but i just went for MNR on personal recommendation.

Guinness - 31/7/09 at 06:02 PM

It's a buyers market out there, and there are loads of cars just above the £6.5k budget. A bit of hard negotiation and I'm sure you could pick up a bargain.

That said if you can stretch a bit further to the £7.5 - 8k you'll get more car.

I thought this thread would have been inundated with people saying "buy mine" by now.

I'd be looking for an R1 powered car, with fuel injection if possible. I think you'd be lucky to find an MNR for the budget. Beyond there it's pretty even (IMHO) between the MK, MAC1 etc.

Don't discount a Raw / Striker if you will be spending a lot of time on the track.

Or consider a Fury with the more aerodynamic bodywork, which will give you a higher top speed (on the track officer).

Cheers and good luck.

Mike

franky - 31/7/09 at 06:33 PM

another vote for a fury, better looking(imo) proven race winner and better aerodynamics..... both will help you get passed less on track.

daniel mason - 31/7/09 at 07:32 PM

this mnr is 9k on pistonheads. a bit of hard negotiations could be done to get near your budget. and i dont know the car but would imagine its no slouch!!!