Board logo

r1 5vy & trickshifter
a4gom - 3/5/09 at 07:23 AM

had my car running last week, tick over was a little low but it ran and revving it with the original bike twist grip set up was crisp and responsive.

i've since put a single accelerator cable on to the pedal and fitted my trickshifter.. tick over is similar but its now slow dropping off the revs when i blip the throttle, it continues to rev after i let off and revs slowly die off (relatively speaking fractions of a second) even though the throttle snaps back shut. both cable and trickshifter arm have a small amount of freeplay when throttle is shut.
is this something i've done?
is it because it had a closing cable in the original set up?
has anyone experienced this?
i have a feeling it could be the brain / throttle bodies doing it and i'm hoping daytuner will be able to sort it for me on thursday but if there is anything i can do before i'd like to get it sorted.
i'm doing harewood on saturday fingers crossed and i've never driven a bec so would like some seat time before hand if poss.

p.s. how do i up the tickover?

[Edited on 3/5/09 by a4gom]

[Edited on 3/5/09 by a4gom]

mark chandler - 3/5/09 at 08:06 AM

Probably lack of closing cable as you indicate, you are now also pulling a pedal up with the bike springs, just try adding another spring, to assist the closure, ideally remote using the closure cable if possible to minimise stress on the whole setup.

a4gom - 3/5/09 at 08:41 AM

can't use the closure cable now as the trickshifter uses that side of the throttle. my mate has same set up and his is ok that's why i'm thinking its the set up.

nitram38 - 3/5/09 at 10:21 AM

I put a spring on my pedal to help it return and an extra spring to help the throttle cable on the engine.
I don't see how your trickshifter is affecting your engine as it has to be forcebly moved to cut your engine.
You can hear it click as pressure is applied.
Also does your trickshifter vacuum actuator work on the round throttle cam or does it work from the auto choke side?
I got a free upgrade from trickshifter (exchanged downshifter unit) as the choke side version does not work very well.
The vacuum actuator goes at the bottom of cam.
I managed to fit a return spring on a hole at the side of the cam and fixed straight upwards (not shown in photo.

Description
Description

a4gom - 4/5/09 at 05:11 PM

can't use the closure cable now as the trickshifter uses that side of the throttle. my mate has same set up and his is ok that's why i'm thinking its the set up.

adithorp - 4/5/09 at 05:33 PM

Mine was slow to drop to idle as well (no trick shifter though).
If you watch the throttles carefully they snap shut then open slightly. Must be something to do with the vacuum or something. With the return cable it wouldn't have happened as that would hold it shut.
I put a return spring on. It still does it a bit but it actually made down shifts easier/smoother as the idle doesn't drop as fast from a blip. Tried a bigger spring but didn't like it.

adrian

a4gom - 11/5/09 at 06:56 PM

quick update,
found it was the cable i was using that was too thick for the application, not flexible enough and too much drag in the outer . replaced with mountain bike brake cable and everything is fine, no spring required. thanks for all your help and suggestions.

[Edited on 11/5/09 by a4gom]