Board logo

Leccy reverse gear pinion price!!!!
40inches - 21/4/09 at 03:12 PM

Just got a quote, £135 Is this a bit on the high side? The machining comes in at £82 on top of the cut gear blank with 22mm standard bore.
I don't like the way the MK spur gear flange only extends half way down the mounting bolt hole. The prop end on the origanal fitting uses a spigot to locate it on the diff flange, I have asked for the gear to be machined the same way, the same as a good quality wheel spacer replicates the hub centric fitting.
Any one got it done cheaper?????

mcerd1 - 21/4/09 at 03:43 PM

I might have some ideas - have you got any sketches / pics ?

btw - this cost £130 for the machining, and thats after I bought the alloy and the trigger wheel

[Edited on 21/4/09 by mcerd1]

richardlee237 - 21/4/09 at 04:07 PM

For a one off gear, in the correct material and properly machined not just chomped out, the price seems reasonable IMHO.

A lot of the cost for this sort of machining is setting up. So, a small gear can be relatively costly.

40inches - 21/4/09 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richardlee237
For a one off gear, in the correct material and properly machined not just chomped out, the price seems reasonable IMHO.
A lot of the cost for this sort of machining is setting up. So, a small gear can be relatively costly.

The £82 was for machining the bore and counter bore, the actual gear is a stock item.
Gear
Gear

clairetoo - 21/4/09 at 07:47 PM

£82 for that little bit of machining
If you can bung the gear in the post to me , I'll do it for a drink (JD `n coke )

or three

40inches - 22/4/09 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
£82 for that little bit of machining
If you can bung the gear in the post to me , I'll do it for a drink (JD `n coke )or three

They have a menu for any post production machining, £36 + VAT for any bore over 50mm but only charge around £5 for cutting a keyway? Go figure.
Going to see them this afternoon for a breakdown of costs.
Is that 3 glasses of JD or 3 bottles Claire?

: