Board logo

Engine Position
lsdweb - 10/12/08 at 09:59 PM

Hi All

My Westfield chassis is now straight and coming back together again.

What do you think about this for the engine position?

Wyn Rescued attachment DSCF7816.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF7816.JPG

jacko - 10/12/08 at 10:03 PM

The engine needs turning so the prop is more in line with the tunnel

and moving back if needed remove the diagonal box

[Edited on 10/12/08 by jacko]

lsdweb - 10/12/08 at 10:06 PM

Thanks Jacko - aparrently it needs a bit of misalignment to ensure the prop joints work OK.

jacko - 10/12/08 at 10:10 PM

This is how i did Roadruners engine
Jacko
fitted engine
fitted engine

jacko - 10/12/08 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Thanks Jacko - aparrently it needs a bit of misalignment to ensure the prop joints work OK.

gear lever,bearing mount
gear lever,bearing mount

The plate on the side is were the prop bolts too

[Edited on 10/12/08 by jacko]

adithorp - 10/12/08 at 10:30 PM

As i understand it the engine and diff' flanges should be parallel to each other but not perfectly in line with each other.

For instance the engine flange could be higher than the diff' but both at 90' to the centre line.

adrian

designer - 10/12/08 at 11:14 PM

The centreline of the engine and diff should be parallel to the centreline of the car.

Jon Ison - 11/12/08 at 04:47 AM

Mine was/is exactly the same as your 1st picture except much further back, been ok since 2002 with no issues.

Flamez - 11/12/08 at 05:52 AM

Hi wyn, are you powdercoating the chassis because i need some panels doing and perhaps we can reduce the cost.

motorcycle_mayhem - 11/12/08 at 08:48 AM

Really, the engine would be better in the passenger seat area, but if you've got to put it where you've indicated, I'll comment on that specifically:
Straighten the engine up a tad. Ideal will be a propshaft a couple of degrees off centre, with all drive flanges parallel with their partners. It won't happen, but you'll get close.
If you've got a reverse gearbox, it's a 3-piece shaft in effect, so you can get the ideal angles and parallelity in the middle and diff. with minor compromises at the engine end. If it's a centre bearing job, then it's a general compromise at both ends. It'll all work, whatever, so don't worry too much.

02GF74 - 11/12/08 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
aparrently it needs a bit of misalignment to ensure the prop joints work OK.

this has been said before - last time it was to stop the UJ seizing.

Well I thought about it and cannot see why that is the case.

With regards to seizing due to lack of movement - so what ? If they aren;t moving and don't need to move then it makes no difference if they are seized or not?

maybe its time for a google ......

twybrow - 11/12/08 at 12:50 PM

I spoke to Bailey Morris about this issue, and they said the following...

If the misalignment is 0-4 degress, no appreciable problem at all, 5-7 degrees is getting dodgy, and above 7 degrees is a big no no. It has taken me months of blood, sweat and tears to turn my engine, which was sat paralell to the engine bay diaganol. I couldn't get it perfectly aligned with the centreline, but it is now around 3 degrees which BM said is ok.

rj - 11/12/08 at 01:05 PM

I suggest you fit the exhaust manifold, as well as prop , and try bonnet in place, when i decided on my engine possition it was largley dictated by the exhaust manifold

lsdweb - 11/12/08 at 09:47 PM

Thanks All

I think I've got it!

Phil (FlameZ) - a quick brush coat of Hammerite probably for me - no fancy powdercoating! There was a guy in Skewen who was very good and prices were good too. Let me know if you want details.

Regards

Wyn