Board logo

Silencer purchase question
matt_gsxr - 4/12/08 at 11:51 AM

Hi there,

I understand that manifolds are going to be expensive as they are custom made, but silencers should be fairly general?

Something like a 6inch diameter, ~2ft long stainless repackable item with a rounded pipe coming off at 90degrees should be pretty commonly used. This should be good enough to bring the noise down for track and SVA. The variable in this would be the inlet pipe diameter, but there are even adapters for that.

So, how much should I be paying for something of this sort. I have a quote of £200+VAT is this fair, I am surprised there are no group buys on these things.

Any thoughts appreciated

Matt

rb968 - 4/12/08 at 12:16 PM

I was intending to buy a standard ish bike can from ebay and then have the expensive manifold etc made to keep the cost down. Is that likely to be too loud then? If I stay clear of race cans surely it won;t be much noisier than the original bike exhaust?

Rich

Kriss - 4/12/08 at 12:47 PM

im in a similar position

I have an R1 2003 FI engine with standard air box, normal kit car BEC manifold with a tiny carbon micron "race" can on the end.

Spits blue flames and was 107 db at 5500 rpm static test

i need a quieter can big time but still stuck with what exactly to get that isnt mega bucks!

rb968 - 4/12/08 at 01:06 PM

Where did you get your manifold made , was it MK?

matt_gsxr - 4/12/08 at 01:11 PM

Rich,

I agree with your theory. But, in practice lots of people have problems with noise with motorbike silencers.

It may be that it is the racier ones that cause the problem, and standard product cans are fine.

I suppose in some cases the bike has dual exhaust, and in this case you will always need to do some magic (that is my situation). Also standard cans are quite restrictive (I say that only from what I have read). I think original bike-can should be the official locost option.

Matt

matt_gsxr - 4/12/08 at 01:13 PM

Kriss,

I am meeting with an exhaust man over the next week, and will ask him what his price for a bulk purchase would be.

We might be able to save a few quid.

Matt

PAUL FISHER - 4/12/08 at 01:46 PM

Might be worth giving MK sportscars a call, 01709 816138,they supplied me with a big silencer for my ZX10r,reduced my db reading from 105 to 98,I think it was around £150.

Pdlewis - 4/12/08 at 03:41 PM

Id be interested in an exhaust if you could get a bulk discount (I need an SVA friendly one)

piddy - 4/12/08 at 03:54 PM

You should be able to get an exhaust can as supplied by MK & Luego for around the £150 mark. Rescued attachment dcp_4705 smal.jpg
Rescued attachment dcp_4705 smal.jpg

Kriss - 4/12/08 at 04:13 PM

Thats exactly what I am after paul. Will measure mine up tonigth and give them a call tomorrow, looks fab, is it repackable?

INDY BIRD - 4/12/08 at 04:27 PM

Hi

Il be honest with you that lenght of can will nedd repacking very often to keep the noise levels down as the length of the can does determin how quiet they can get down too,

I have pauls zx10r car now and this needs repacking last time out it tested at just over 101 DB so goes to shopw they need doing often,

the can i have you will see post on bec forum will stay quiter for longer due to its length, 34" main body,

My previous exhaust was similar in length but 5" and at sva measured 97 db,

So althought look expensive if you go to a track day and cant get on for noise levels it would have paid for the better can in the first place,

Still hope you find what you are looking for within your budget

not easy to do ,

Also stainless all over can will much noiser than part ali or ali all over

All the best

Sean

rb968 - 4/12/08 at 08:36 PM

So am I barking up the wrong tree with a standard can if the zx9 bike is too loud anyway for trackdays. Are we concluding that because of a different exhaust length or design we need extra silencing /bigger to get noise levels down ? Who's running a bike can and got reasonable noise levels?

Rich

INDY BIRD - 4/12/08 at 09:40 PM

Hi

Ive tried several different cans with mixed results,

R1 carbon was around 102 db on a blackbird engine with full flow filter on and around 100 db on a zx12r,

but in the end went for this on my indy (pic attached) 7" ali down to 97 db measured at brands hatch,

prob with bike cans seem to be ok at first but then just get louder

only my opionion sure some one will share theres soon,

pic attached of can on mk bird Rescued attachment indy side aero exhaust.jpg
Rescued attachment indy side aero exhaust.jpg

matt_gsxr - 5/12/08 at 11:50 AM

I will ask around whether the normal suspects can offer a bulk buy (x10) on a 6 inch diameter, 30inch long (silencer section), stainless steel, repackable exhaust, with an SVA compatible outlet.

The list price on one of these is
£200+VAT wunoff
£190+VAT cbs (including shipping)

if there are any worthwhile discounts available I will start a list of interested parties.

Matt

bigfoot4616 - 5/12/08 at 09:32 PM

INDY BIRD

where did you get that silencer from, and how long is it?

cheers

matt_gsxr - 5/12/08 at 10:12 PM

Best priced on a 6 inch diameter, stainless steel, repackable exhaust, with an SVA compatible outlet.

seems to be
£150+VAT + £10 shipping (optional) from MK sportscars

They have suggested a reasonable discount based on a group buy of x10

So if we can get together a list of 10 people who can commit to this then that would be good. Please post interest.

Thanks,

Matt

List:

Me x1

Kriss - 6/12/08 at 11:52 AM

2. kriss

INDY BIRD - 7/12/08 at 10:19 AM

Hi

The can is on my old car sold about 2 years ago,

the can was made in ashton i think cant remember the company name if i do i will u2u you,

was a 7" can 30" long made fron poloshed ali,

thanks

sean

ps cost was £370 fitted again not cheap but on my car and brothers zx12r indy gained around 15bhp and was very quiet can,

bigfoot4616 - 7/12/08 at 07:53 PM

cheers.

i'm trying to knock of a couple of db's, was measured at 100 recently with my 5" silencer. problem i have is not much room for more length.

100 db was at 8500, i went slightly past the 8200 he wanted but i dont think 300 revs will affect it much

INDY BIRD - 7/12/08 at 09:15 PM

Bigfoot

What engine is it for at that rpm then persume bec ???

If cant make a can any bigger what about induction noise or metal side pannels resonaiting??? have you checked these??

Thanks
Sean

matt_gsxr - 7/12/08 at 09:29 PM

so.

1. Me
2. Kriss

Doesn't look like we will get to 10 does it

Matt

Kriss - 7/12/08 at 10:51 PM

my mate on the sestfield forum said there is a group buy on the for cb (or someone like that" exhuast? £204 he seems to recal made to order. will try get some more info

bigfoot4616 - 7/12/08 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Bigfoot

What engine is it for at that rpm then persume bec ???

If cant make a can any bigger what about induction noise or metal side pannels resonaiting??? have you checked these??

Thanks
Sean

its a fireblade.
induction noise shouldn't be a problem as i have an airbox fitted, don't know about panels resonating.
i will be able to go a little bit longer on the can but most of the larger diameter ones i've seen have been to long.
problem i have now is that i forgot to check how much room there was before pulling the car apart so untill it goes back together i'm just looking out for different options

matt_gsxr - 8/12/08 at 09:57 AM

Hi there,

So if we can gtup to 10 we can get a price of
£150 inc VAT + £10 delivery (if necessary). This is a reduction of 15% over buying individually, for what is already a good value silencer.

specification is 6inch diameter, stainless, repackable.

This is for the one pictured previously

A £22 saving isn't much, but I think its worth it. And £150 is a lot less than £204

Matt

1. Matt
2. Kriss
3. Dan
4. Nathan

[Edited on 8/12/08 by matt_gsxr]

[Edited on 11/12/08 by matt_gsxr]

Dan - 8/12/08 at 05:17 PM

Well iam up for a purchase at that price
10 seems a tall order though

asl - 9/12/08 at 05:09 PM

Put me down. Nathan

matt_gsxr - 13/12/08 at 10:40 AM

Hi there,

It looked to me like x10 is not going to happen. So as I was driving up the M1 anyway I popped into MK.

Damn, those guys are nice. I was offered 3 cups of tea, and had a really nice look around.

Also I picked up a silencer (as they had one). It is as previously described, but was the last one on the shelf, but I am sure they can sort something out if you talk to them on the phone or can collect.

O.D. 153mm, 860mm total length, 570mm silencer cylinder length. Weight around 7-8kg. Good and solid, which is good as it is living inside a fibreglass sidepod/sill.

There are a couple of pictures in my photos section.

Matt

rb968 - 20/12/08 at 02:23 PM

If anyone is still interested just spotted these on ebay this morning. Look a good price. Bit smaller than discussed earlier but what do we think??

NTDWM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-steel-silencer_W0QQitemZ250341426787QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item250341426787&_tr ksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Rich