Board logo

MotaLeira plumbing progress!
nitram38 - 1/12/08 at 11:41 AM

Managed to fit the rad and the front to rear pipework today.
I just need a couple of pipes welded to make two tap offs for the expansion bottle and run an 8mm bleed pipe from the top of the Rad.
Anyone got some 8mm Aliminium pipe?
They make the copper stuff, but I would rather keep all the metals on my water system the same.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

mangogrooveworkshop - 1/12/08 at 11:43 AM

b and q orange have 8mm

nitram38 - 1/12/08 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
b and q orange have 8mm

Is it on a coil or solid lengths?

Mr Whippy - 1/12/08 at 11:48 AM

looking good, one very stiff looking chassis

BenB - 1/12/08 at 11:57 AM

So the coolant hoses run behind your back and under the seat? Could be exciting if a jubilee clip gives way

Mr Whippy - 1/12/08 at 12:04 PM

hopefully he will be fitting GRP seats, how about lagging the pipes where they are near you?

BenB - 1/12/08 at 12:22 PM

Yes, I was wondering about that. I know GRP matt often comes in big polythene tubes (like 6 foot long condoms). Chop the end off that and slip it over the pipe..... That might stop spray but the seat will get mighty toasty. Perhaps lagging wrapped in duct tape might be better.

smart51 - 1/12/08 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
b and q orange have 8mm

B&Q sell aluminium tube in various diameters (certainly 10mm OD x 1mm wall, and probably 8mm) in 1 and 2 metre lengths. Not all shops stock all sizes so find one of the biger stores.

adithorp - 1/12/08 at 12:39 PM

Very nice. Purple hose are a bit flash!

adrian

ps. not sure about the chassis paint!

Mr Whippy - 1/12/08 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

ps. not sure about the chassis paint!

yeah not that I want to criticize such an nice car but I'd have thought a bright coloured powder coat would have been the only way to go

[Edited on 1/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

neilj37 - 1/12/08 at 12:59 PM

Plumb the pipes into the seats i say, and have a nice toasty bottom

MikeR - 1/12/08 at 01:00 PM

the chassis paint thing has been done before. it is what it is and for good reason, can we move on and discuss cooling before it gets repetitious?

adithorp - 1/12/08 at 01:03 PM

Hence the wink

adrian

chrsgrain - 1/12/08 at 01:04 PM

Looks good - I would be thinking about lagging or something though - especially that close to your arse!

Chris

Mr Whippy - 1/12/08 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
the chassis paint thing has been done before. it is what it is and for good reason, can we move on and discuss cooling before it gets repetitious?

oop sorry must have missed that (apparently long) debate

I'd have done it orange though...hee hee

02GF74 - 1/12/08 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
b and q orange have 8mm

It is sold in 1 m and possibly 2 m straight lengths. Ofcourse it can be bent but you may need special tool to avoid kinky. From memory wall thickness is about 1 mm.

hmmmm, I just thought - I did bend some of this by hand over a wooden former prior to slitting it to fit over the edge of my exhaust can (there may be photo in my archive) and don't recall it kinking too much.

Thinkauto sell aluminium fuel line that I presume would be of a material more suitable for bending.

nitram38 - 1/12/08 at 02:21 PM

The jubilee clips will not come lose, especially since I did the b & q tool job on the pipes
The pipes behind the fibreglass seats will have some of that reflective heat sheild mat wrapped around them.
The hoses were from Rally Design. As they are non-standard colours, they are made to order. Supposed to be 3 week lead time but actually took 6 weeks
I am doing the car in black with purple/mauve highlights. This stems from the seat pads being mauve.

Humbug - 1/12/08 at 03:09 PM

Looking good... re the pipes - could you put a take off pipe in smaller diameter from the pipe just next to the seat and run it back and forward under the seat, then back into the main pipe. If you put a simple switch (quarter turn on/off, or something) in the take off, you could have a nice toasty bum in winter!

Tiger Super Six - 1/12/08 at 03:31 PM

Not sure where that was from, but ProAlloy are very good and will make to order.

HTH

nitram38 - 1/12/08 at 03:32 PM

Chris, got mine from www.proalloy.co.uk
Cost me £280 from my drawing. The rad is unusual as it has a split tank at the bottom so the water flows up one half of the rad, through the top header and back down the other half.
Not sure on them making a curved rad because it depends if they can get a curved core.
Aren't lots of bike rads curved?

COREdevelopments - 2/12/08 at 08:44 PM

its taking shape pretty quick! love the rad and purple pipes!
keep up the updates, and the good work

Rob

nitram38 - 3/12/08 at 12:55 PM

Rad fan put on today:

Description
Description

[img][/img]

adithorp - 3/12/08 at 01:01 PM

Where does the air go thats come through the rad? Is it going to be baffled out somewhere or does it just keep your feet warm?

adrian

nitram38 - 3/12/08 at 01:07 PM

If you look just above the right hand wishbone there is an aluminium panel.
The electrical box behind the rad has an angle cut at the front to allow the air out.
The warm air will come out under and to the side of the car