Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear caliper position
DaveFJ

posted on 4/4/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
rear caliper position

OK.

I thought I had this right but i have been looking at some other peoples photo archives. My calipers are at the front of the rear upright at about 2 o'clock. looking at others they seem to be at the rear?? so - am i wrong ?

I have standard sierra discs and calipers.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

bigrich

posted on 4/4/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have no knowledge of the Avon but most of the kits i've seen mount the calipers upside down on the rear of the disc
it looks to me as though the rear uprights could be on the wrong sides, but as i said i don,t know the avon model at all.
should be some pics in my archive of the rear brakes on my last build.

Regards Rich

RazMan

posted on 4/4/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Most fit them on the front of the upright and upside down, which means you have to remove them for bleeding but it is much better for the handbrake cable routing. Rescued attachment Rear Hub.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear Hub.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I swapped my uprights from one side to the other so that calipers are at rear and correct orientation.

Andy.

DaveFJ

posted on 5/4/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
I swapped my uprights from one side to the other so that calipers are at rear and correct orientation.

Andy.

but - having swapped your uprights how is the wheel position in regards to the rear arch? I assumed this would mess it all up....

Dave

DaveFJ

posted on 5/4/07 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking about this.... could i not get better access for the handbrake cable by just swapping the calipers over ? I know this would mean a bit of buggering around to bleed them but then it should be ok?

to clarify: my calipers seem to fit OK at the moment and the handbrake cables kind of fit, but the cable casing is hard up against the rear upright and at a bit of an angle.

Dave

andrew.carwithen

posted on 5/4/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I know in the Avon book that the diag. of the rear uprights shows them to have some sort of offset front to rear, but in all honesty it wasn't apparent when I looked at mine.
We all know the various problems we all seem to have had to one degree or another in getting the rear suspension etc. to line up - even with the uprights supposedly in their correct orientation etc. So in short, it doesn't seem to have made much difference to the centralising of the wheel within the arch (bodywork is now off the car so can't post a pic to show you.)
However, it does mean my calipers are upright (i.e. bleed nipple is on top) and my handbrake cable doesn't seem to foul anything. So I'm gonna leave them as they are.
Of course, bearing in mind the (ahem) manufacturing tolerances Tiger seem to build in to their cars, it may not work on yours if you did the same.
However, 'Lightning' had also swapped the uprights around to no adverse effect when he had his Avon (t'was why I decided to do it on mine.)

Andy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.