Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger bonnet gap/engine height
andrew-theasby

posted on 26/12/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger bonnet gap/engine height

Hi, ive been looking through loads of posts about this and wanted to hear other peoples opinions/experiences. This post shows my problem well- link
Basically, im working on an avon which someone else started, but using the same basic running gear as me. Ive currently got the xe engine in the avon chassis with what i think are tiger mounts. I was going to ask how much sump should be sticking out below the chassis, as i wanted to lift it a bit, but then i tried the bonnet on, and it was sat on my throttle cable linkage, so ive put that on hold for the mo and taken the carbs off. Now, the bonnet slightly fouls on the distributor, but not too badly, and is really close all over the rocker cover. My main worry is that with it sat on the scuttle and nose cone (no matter where the engine is) theres about a 1" gap from bottom of the bonnet to the chassis. It seems from other posts about this, thats its a fairly common problem, though some seem to think its a design feature (not so sure about that). Im sure i can sort it, with a bit of glassisng but i just thougt id check its not just me (seems not tho ) Ill try and post some piccys, when i can get them off my phone. Oh ye, and is there an alternative throttle linkage to the webber one, cause that will need changing no matter what. Thanks

[Edited on 27/12/06 by andrew-theasby]

Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/12/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
The weber linkage can be bought as top or bottom mounted - I bought the bottom mounted one to avoid any problems with the bonnet.

HTH

Mark

Tiger Avon

andrew.carwithen

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt if the engine mounts are from Tiger. I think they only provide ones for the zetec or pinto (might be mistaken though...).
You may have to make up shorter ones to sit the engine lower (The Avon scuttle and bonnet height is significantly lower than other sevens - hence the bonnet bulge. I presume you already have a chopped sump fitted to aid ground clearance?)
Have you registered on the main Tiger forum at http://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk ?
There are a few members with XE powered Avons who should be able to help with your specific probs.

Andy.

andrew-theasby

posted on 27/12/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
ye ive had a look on there, theres a few people talking about the bonnet gap problem. Daren't go any lower anyway with the engine, its already as low as i dare, but even if i did, that woud only stop the engine rubbing, the gap would still be there as its sat on the nose and scuttle at the mo. Think im going to put the engine where i feel its right, then glass an extra strip onto the bottom of the bonnet to suit, and maybe on the nose and scuttle too if necessary,cause im not happy to leave the gap there so may as well sort all the problems in one go. Thanks for the comments, and ill look out for an underneath throttle linkage.
Schrodinger

posted on 28/12/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
If it is the Webber linkage Webcon used to supply replacement parts and the only difference between the top and bottom mounts IIRC is the mounting plate so ask them if they will supply the bottom mounting plate.
snippy

posted on 30/12/06 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
The Tiger bonnets are reknown for this 1 inch gap either side. My Cat has them but I`m ok with it as it does let some of that heat out of the engine bay. Some people complain about only having a gap on just one side too. Be careful come SVA time. One of my 3 failure points was that I hadn`t radiused the long 90 degree edge on the bottom of both sides of the bonnet. Simply overlooked by me but very annoying.
Nick

Rudy

posted on 30/12/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have the same problem.
Why nobody go to Tiger Racing and say them they are no professional?

Sorry about my English

andrew-theasby

posted on 30/12/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip but i think im definitely going to fill it, im going to have vents elsewhere so that should aid the cooling. Heres the pic anyway for anybody else who has this problem

[Edited on 31/12/06 by andrew-theasby] Rescued attachment bonnet gap.JPG
Rescued attachment bonnet gap.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.