Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear disk pictures?
Northy

posted on 13/2/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Rear disk pictures?

Has anyone got any pictures of a rear disk setup on an Avon? Do the calipers end up on the front or the back of the uprights?

I've tried searching, but can't find anything. I think pictures have been posted before.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham,
Look at Lightning's photo archive (rear end chassis and diff).
I think that'll answer your question.
Sorry, dunno how to post his picture onto here.
By the way, did you manage to turn down the ABS teeth on the hubs ok?

Cheers,

Andy.

Northy

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andy,

Forgot Lightning had them fitted on his!
I've not done it yet as I want to mount the bearing carriers first so I can see how much to take off. Are you fitting rear disks?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 14/2/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
At present have push-in driveshafts and 8'' drums fitted.

But, a few months ago, I bought a complete 3.62 LSD rear end inc. hubs, lobro driveshafts (with ABS teeth!) and calipers for the bargain price of £50! (well worth trawling through your local freeads paper!)

I,ve bought new discs and am awaiting delivery of reconn'd calipers. Diff and shafts need cleaning and painting. (I was thinking of using the electrolysis method - how did you get on with it?)

I dunno whether to swap the rear end now (no bodywork fitted yet) or wait till after she's on the road and fit it as part of a future upgrade where I'll also be changing from pinto to fireblade power!

So, if you get your finger out and fit your rear end, you'll be able to tell me how much hassle it was (or not!) and I can make a decision accordingly!

Cheers,

Andy.

Northy

posted on 15/2/05 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I can already tell you, FIT IT NOW!!!!

It's a twat of a job. Just imagine removing a diff full of oil with the bodywork on and fuel tank in. It's like something off bloody Crypton factor anyway!

Graham

Lightning

posted on 15/2/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, Andy fit it now........actually no...its a bastard so you better let me have your LSD
I had to muck about with a file and grinder. will be a pig later.

[Edited on 15/2/05 by Lightning]

Steve

DaveFJ

posted on 15/2/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have a far better idea - as my build is the 'least complete' you should deffinately let me have it

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

andrew.carwithen

posted on 15/2/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
I agree, Andy fit it now........actually no...its a bastard so you better let me have your LSD
I had to muck about with a file and grinder. will be a pig later.

[Edited on 15/2/05 by Lightning]

Sorry chaps, The LSD ain't going any where but on my car!

As the refurbed calipers arrived today, it looks like I'll do the swap sooner rather than later.

Steve, what do you mean you had to get out the file and grinder?
Is there a problem in fitting the hubs through the rear uprights on the larger shafts?

Thanks for replies, guys

Andy.

Northy

posted on 15/2/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I have seen so far the threaded holes in the rear uprights don't line up correctly with rear disk (ie with lugs on for caliper) rear bearing carriers.

I think I'm going to enlarge the holes in the bearing carriers, unless anyone thinks thats a bad idea

Graham

Lightning

posted on 15/2/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly it...the holes dont quite line up and I had to enlarge the holes. I also had the shaft rub on the hub carrier at the back and had to dress the hub carrier otherwise it would have grinding all the time.

I understood at the time that it was not a Tiger problem with the holes, more that the hole centres on the disk type hubs are slightly different.

Steve

Northy

posted on 15/2/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'll compare the bearing carriers when I remove the old ones.

Which bit did you have to dress?

Cheers

Graham

Lightning

posted on 16/2/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
The rear of the Tiger hub carrier. The welds on the large tube rubbed on the shaft. Might not on yours. It will be very obvious however if it does as steel to steel makes a bit of a noise.

Steve

Northy

posted on 16/2/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote

So did you open up the holes then?

Cheers

Graham

Lightning

posted on 16/2/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I used a round file to elongate some of the holes rather than drill them. This was so that the hub stayed central and there was less chance of lateral movement.

I'll be interested to see if the two bearing carriers do have a different hole set up. So let us know when you compare the two.

Steve

Northy

posted on 18/2/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Did you have to take the ABS teeth off then? I can't think why you'd need to. I'll try it tomorrow.

Cheers

Graham

decay

posted on 21/2/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I,ve come to the same problem and found a few sticking points when using the stock avon rear drum upright with disk hubs.

1) The 4 holes of the hub do not line up with the tapped holes in the upright

This has aparently been solved by welding up, redrilling and tapping according to tiger. Just how you are going to drill and tap a hole 15mm? deep is beyond my ability. You are going to need a neat flat bottom drill bit.

Whilst your at this make sure the holes are dead square around the centre hole or the drive shaft will hit. In its current state it aint pretty.

2) The Lobro shaft end is to dam big to fit in the hole. You could lathe it down taking off the ABS teeth so the sides are parallel. POINT A on photo

3) The Lobro shaft end is to dam short to fit, when the baring is tightened up it pulls the shaft end in to meet the inside edge of the upright, You would have to lathe some metal off POINT B off the shaft and take back the lip of metal on the inside of the upright.

After much thought I'm going to ebay my uprightd and build completly new ones base on the Luego design of a flat plate that everything is either welded of bolted to, a vast improvement. Rescued attachment rearbearing.jpg
Rescued attachment rearbearing.jpg

decay

posted on 21/2/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra disk hub placed on avon rear upright

The Holes do not line up. - bugger. Rescued attachment hubonupright.jpg
Rescued attachment hubonupright.jpg

Mix

posted on 21/2/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hub carrier mounting holes

Looking at the photos and comparing them to my, (home made) uprights it appears that the hole spacings are the same. It looks like if you were to turn the carrier 180 degrees the holes would line up. Unfortunately you won't be able to get the calliper on in this orientation.

Mick

ned

posted on 21/2/05 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
i found that one hole is off centre to the rest on my dedion axle for sierra rear brakes. can you not take the brake bracket plate off and swap it to the other side, perhaps flipping it over if necessary?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

decay

posted on 21/2/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Spinning the hub carrier round 180 degrees makes it worse....
Lightning

posted on 21/2/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Told you it was a pig.....now do I get that LSD andy?

Where are you in the country Decay???

Glad to see youre putting in a bike engine

[Edited on 21/2/05 by Lightning]

Steve

Hellfire

posted on 22/2/05 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Unless I read this section of the forum - I never know how lucky we were to buy MK Indy.

decay

posted on 22/2/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in Peterborough

15 mins from Tiger
5 mins from Luego

Early days yet, still busy planning and buying bits.

decay

posted on 22/2/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot 7 mins from radical
and 20 mins from extreme engines

andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Told you it was a pig.....now do I get that LSD andy?
[Edited on 21/2/05 by Lightning]

Nope...but I would like to come up and see your rear end for meself!!

I'd also like to take measurements of your engine cradle, if I may, and, of course, return your brake flaring kit!

I'm off work now until Monday, so is there a convenient day/time I could come up? (apart from Sat afternoon - Argyle at home etc.)

Cheers,

Andy.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.