Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension set up
Lightning

posted on 30/12/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension set up

I posted this some time ago after getting the geometry checked. Thought I would let you know how I got on.
The following print out showed how the geometrty ended up after the build. Rescued attachment Geometry.jpg
Rescued attachment Geometry.jpg

Steve

Northy

posted on 30/12/04 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
How long did it take to measure it?

Have you had it set up properly yet?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 30/12/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The reason for the Lotus Exige was that here was no Locost, not susprisingly, or a Cateringvan for that matter.

Rather than them charging a great deal to change the set up I though I would have a go.

The main suprise was the caster angle being very different both sides....some may say not really as its a Tiger.
Both wishbones were the right way around!

So I reversed the one on the nearside and moved the brackets on the chassis.
This should bring it to about 5 degrees.

Camber angle was changed with application of simple trig and the thread pitch on the upper ball joint. Both should be about 0.5 degrees negative camber.
Toe in was altered by setting a lazer on the centre line of the car to the garage doors. Marking off the track and using a lazer on the face of the wheel to get a toe in of 0.25 degrees both sides.

On the rear I have left the offside as it was for the time being as it was not far off. It will be a usefull datum when getting it rechecked.

The nearside I altered with simple trig but as a check I first marked the inside face of the wheel arch with a lazer on the hub with the wieight of the car on the suspension. After altering the set up this could then be compaired with the new lazer path.

I could not get the toe as I would like on the first attempt. I think I will let it settle and try again later. It is much closer though.

The straight line stability is much better now as it was skittish over 100mph before. You can also let go at speed without wander.

I'll get it checked again and go from there.

Steve

krlthms

posted on 31/12/04 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
"The straight line stability is much better now as it was skittish over 100mph before. You can also let go at speed without wander."

Steve,
Whatever you do, don't stop taking the medications.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.