Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear disk pictures?
Northy

posted on 26/3/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't have time to paint them Carl, went shopping remember!

Didn't get to Elvington either.

Will paint them tomorrow and take better pics.

The tube is central everyone, just my crap camera work (my head is filling with snot!)

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 26/3/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
PS only another 1514 posts till you catch me up

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlgeldard

posted on 26/3/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well I better start posting crap just to catch up

http://www.fat-pie.com/chavs.htm

Watch tuseday with devvo

Carl

Northy

posted on 27/3/05 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
Well I better start posting crap just to catch up

http://www.fat-pie.com/chavs.htm

Watch tuseday with devvo

Carl

Quality

Graham

Viper

posted on 27/3/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
one of mine, modded it a bit soon after this by removing the shock mount...

Avoneer

posted on 27/3/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
And now you're just showing off Viper!

Welcome back,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Viper

posted on 27/3/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote

hardley showing off, mine is far from finished

Northy

posted on 2/4/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Andy / Carl,

How have you routed your flexy brake lines and handbrake cable? It looks like my flexy lines will foul on the end of the top wishbone. I might have to get some bango style ends?

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 2/4/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Graham,
Firstly, did you swap your uprights from one side to the other, so that the callipers are rearmost or kept them as they were in which case, the callipers will sit in front of the hubs?
(It doesn't make any difference - the flexi hoses will still foul on the upper wishbones!)
I'm also at the stage of sorting out how to fit the hoses.
I reckon there's about 40 mm clearance between the calliper and 'bone - too tight to bend the hoses to fit.
I believe Lightning fitted some sort of pre-formed right-angled bend to his callipers and then fitted the hoses to this. I,ve approached a local firm who make up hydraulic pipes and hoses and they seem to think they may be able to make up something similar. Problem is, I believe that written proof/confirmation they're fit for purpose is then req'd for SVA (at Exeter anyway!)
I hadn't thought of banjo unions, as an option. I'll suggest that to them!
I had also thought of swapping the bleed nipples with the flex hose connections so that the hose is clear of the wishbone. But then, it looks like it would foul on the inner rim of the wheel itself (unless, perhaps, you were using larger dia. 17" wheels!)
The handbrake cable enters the callipers from underneath.

Hope that helps,
Andy.

Northy

posted on 2/4/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Andy. I swoped the uprights so the calipers are at the rear, I think it looks better

I got Stainless braided lines made up by Rally design with the bolt on style ends, so I should be able to take the end off and replace them with bango style ones Have you seen the Rally design ones? They'll make any length you want, and cheap.

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 2/4/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
Thanks for the reply Andy. I swoped the uprights so the calipers are at the rear, I think it looks better

I got Stainless braided lines made up by Rally design with the bolt on style ends, so I should be able to take the end off and replace them with bango style ones Have you seen the Rally design ones? They'll make any length you want, and cheap.

Graham,

The firm I referred to in my last post can also make up braided hoses at approx £1 per inch (inc. end fittings).
How does that compare to Rally Design?
What length are your braided hoses?
Have you got any pics of your modified uprights fitted yet?
Did Carl test them to destruction when modifying them?

Andy.

carlgeldard

posted on 3/4/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
As far as a destructive test goes then yes and no. I destructed the upright by cutting out the old tube, this allowed me to view the root of the weld, this visual inspection showed me at a point there I could clearly see a lack of root penetration. I did'nt cut out a test piece and do a nick break or macro etch to BS4872 because I was not at work or collage. But what I could see was this welded joint was not suitably prepared and welded to allow all the weld metal (renforcement) to be ground flush.

Carl

Northy

posted on 3/4/05 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, what Carl said. I fully agree. Here's a picture.

Basically between the metal that is the rear face of the upright and the tube itself there is a gap, as the rear face was welded on last during manufacture. So when you've ground all the weld away, you've ground all the strength out of it! Rescued attachment Upright tube.jpg
Rescued attachment Upright tube.jpg

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 3/4/05 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, Carl.
When you exposed the inside cavity of the upright, was there a ring of reinforcing weld where the original tube meets the inside of the outer face of the upright? (obviously can't go on the outside due to the hub carrier needing to sit flush on its mounting plate!)
What dia. larger tube did you fit and was it just mild steel and where can it be sourced from?

Andy.

Northy

posted on 3/4/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Andy, I can answer some of that!
On mine there was only four 'tack' welds holding the tube to the outer face, as you can see from the picture the tube is perfectly intact. If you look carefully you can see holes in it about halfway up where Carl drilled the four tacks out.

Can you see in the picture? Shall I mark them?

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 3/4/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Andy, I can answer some of that!
On mine there was only four 'tack' welds holding the tube to the outer face, as you can see from the picture the tube is perfectly intact. If you look carefully you can see holes in it about halfway up where Carl drilled the four tacks out.

Can you see in the picture? Shall I mark them?

Well, that's my point.
If the tube is such an integral part to the overall strength of the upright, then surely it would be as heavily welded to the inside of the outer face as it is to the outside of the inner face? (I hope that makes sense!) and not just tacked with a few welds?
I'm in no way disputing Carl's knowledge as a professional welder, ( I wouldn't do that on a subject I know little about). I'm just putting forward what I think is a logical point.
I happily stand to be corrected.

Regards,

Andy.

carlgeldard

posted on 3/4/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
The tack welds on the inside are the just to help the welder hold the assembly together during the fabrication process all the strenght comes from the welds on the outside of the upright. And one of the largest welds is no longer there.

Carl

Northy

posted on 3/4/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Carl how did you route your brake lines and handbrake?

Did you use std ends on the brake flexys?

Graham

carlgeldard

posted on 3/4/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have my calipers at the front and with flexy pipe from a suziki jeep (How do you spell suzuki) not the vitara but the one before. This was the correct length with a bonjo on one end and an M10 male at the other. As for the handbrake cable it comes across the car and sweeps to the underside of the caliper.

The steel tube was 4" nominal bore steam pipe and cost me 2quid for a 6"length. The price of a bacon sandwich he must have been peckish.

Carl

Andy

You could try here.

Woodberry Chillcott & Co.Ltd
Unit 6, Eastern Wood Rd, Langage Ind Est, Plympton, Plymouth, Devon PL7 5ET
Tel: 01752 343421

Mcarthur Group Ltd
Unit D3-D4, Cot Hill Trading Estate,Plymouth Rd, Plympton, Plymouth, Devon PL7 1SR
Tel: 01752 339851

[Edited on 3/4/05 by carlgeldard]

Northy

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Carl,

I'll order some bits tomorrow.

I think this conversion has made the back-end narrower

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
I have my calipers at the front and with flexy pipe from a suziki jeep (How do you spell suzuki) not the vitara but the one before. This was the correct length with a bonjo on one end and an M10 male at the other. As for the handbrake cable it comes across the car and sweeps to the underside of the caliper.

The steel tube was 4" nominal bore steam pipe and cost me 2quid for a 6"length. The price of a bacon sandwich he must have been peckish.

Carl

Andy

You could try here.

Woodberry Chillcott & Co.Ltd
Unit 6, Eastern Wood Rd, Langage Ind Est, Plympton, Plymouth, Devon PL7 5ET
Tel: 01752 343421

Mcarthur Group Ltd
Unit D3-D4, Cot Hill Trading Estate,Plymouth Rd, Plympton, Plymouth, Devon PL7 1SR
Tel: 01752 339851

[Edited on 3/4/05 by carlgeldard]

Blimey Carl,
You came a long way to get your tube!
Thanks for those firms/addresses.

Now, have you any pics of your callipers fitted - especially any that show the flexi pipes fitted to the callipers.
Which way are your callipers orientated? (i.e. with bleed nipple/pipe connection at top or bottom.)

Is the Suzuki jeep you refer to the SJ410?

Cheers,
Andy.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers Carl,

I think this conversion has made the back-end narrower

Eh?!!

Come on Graham, you gotta explain that one!

Andy (confused?)

carlgeldard

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thats the one Rescued attachment wp2fd3f427.png
Rescued attachment wp2fd3f427.png

carlgeldard

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
and here another Rescued attachment wp77dc3114.png
Rescued attachment wp77dc3114.png

carlgeldard

posted on 3/4/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
You have to have the bleed nipples at the top as air rise's Rescued attachment DSC00340.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00340.JPG

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.