Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear disk pictures?
andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
FINALLY!!!!
I've finisned the conversion from to discs and LSD!!!!

This is how I did it:-

Turned down lobro stubshaft to 75mm along its length (cost £10 by local engineering firm) as in attached photo.... Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00041.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00041.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
...Then I used angle grinder to remove excess weld and protruding ring on inside of rear upright until flush. Trusty powerfile then used to chamfer inside edge of tube (see attached photo).... Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00040.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00040.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
...Uprights were then swapped from one side to another to enable callipers to be fitted. (photo shows clearance which now exhists between stubshaft and upright).. Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00042.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00042.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
...pic of L/H rear hub assy.. Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00043.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00043.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
..pic of R/H disc and calliper.. Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00044.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00044.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
...and finally...pic of complete rear end inc. LSD!..(thanks to Lightning for advice). So it goes to show that it CAN be done with original uprights! Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00055.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00055.jpg

Lightning

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lookin Good

Its about time that you got a move on.

Are you going to put on a bracket on the rear of the diff?

Went out in mine today...bloody cold

[Edited on 20/3/05 by Lightning]

Steve

Northy

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Andrew! Beat me to it!

How did you cope with the holes not lining up?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Are you going to put on a bracket on the rear of the diff?
[Edited on 20/3/05 by Lightning]

I've got one on mine, but not sure if I'll re-fit it, is it necessary?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
Well done Andrew! Beat me to it!

How did you cope with the holes not lining up?

Basically, I found that the two 'lower' holes in the hub carrier would line up with their counterparts in the upright but the two 'upper' holes didn't.
I merely used a round file to elongate both these holes until they did!
Hopefully, (I'm no David Bailey!) the photo will show the holes I had to elongate (the two to the left in pic!) Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00056.jpg
Rescued attachment p100enginejpg00056.jpg

Northy

posted on 20/3/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew,

Did you remove material from A & B? What about C?

How much clearance is there now between the edge of C and the back of the upright? Rescued attachment untitled.JPG
Rescued attachment untitled.JPG

Graham

Northy

posted on 20/3/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
What do the teeth (A) actually foul on?
I can't work this out, as B has to go into the upright, and A is much smaller diameter? And it all fitted together on the Sierra!

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Andrew,

Did you remove material from A & B? What about C?

How much clearance is there now between the edge of C and the back of the upright?

Graham,
'A' is untouched and is as original.
'B' is the area (which included the ABS teeth) I had turned down to 75mm along its length - which is approx. the diameter where 'B' meets 'C' on the original (there's a taper from the ABS teeth end to this shoulder on original. The ABS teeth are hardened, but a carbide tipped tool soon makes short work of them!)
This allows stubshaft to pass through upright with approx 3-4 mm clearance all round.
Once the excess weld and protruding lip of the ring are ground back flush with the inner face of the upright and the hub bearings tightened, there is a clearance again of about 3mm between the flange'C' and the upright. This clearance will not change due to the nature of the Sierra hub bearings being done up so bleedy tight and so will not change!
I also ground a little away from the weld on the underside of the shock mounting bracket on the upright to aid clearance between it and 'C'.

Its worth a try on your uprights, Graham, as it'll save the hassle of having a larger ring welded in instead.

Regards,
Andy.

Northy

posted on 20/3/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just been to look at a stub axel in the garage, I should have done that first!

Do you just take the teeth off for clearance in the tube then?

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What do the teeth (A) actually foul on?
I can't work this out, as B has to go into the upright, and A is much smaller diameter? And it all fitted together on the Sierra!

Ah yes,but the Sierra didn't use Tiger uprights!
In theory, the teeth should pass through the upright as they're about 80mm in dia. and (according to the book!) the dia. of the ring in the upright is 82mm.
BUT...this is assuming that the ring is perfectly central in relation to the four hub carrier holes in the upright! (and when have you known the Tiger chassis to be that accurate?)

So, the reason for reducing the diameter is to build in a decent 'tolerance' for any inaccuracy in the upright - thus ensuring a good running clearance.

Andy.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/3/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just been to look at a stub axel in the garage, I should have done that first!

Do you just take the teeth off for clearance in the tube then?

...Yep!..that's what I was trying to explain in my last post!

carlgeldard

posted on 21/3/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
FAO Graham

Graham

Well what are you going to do now!!! Its sounds to me that there is more work and cost involved in that solution than just welding larger tubes in. And removing weld metal from a Joint sounds suspect to me "But I’m only a qualified welder what do I know".
Sorry I don’t mean to offend anybody but weld metal is there for a reason. The last thing anybody wants is to be going around a corner and the upright fails because the weld metal or reinforcement has been removed, just to save a bit time and effort.
Let me know Graham as I have still to get you some bits of tube today.

Carl

And also Ford must spend millions on research and development only for us to machine material off from what could be a case hardened component that has been special designed and tested to do a particular job. It also scares me to think that the driveshaft is only 6 to 8 inches from your back and the petrol tank. You just don’t want a component failure. One last thing to think about is you are going to be driving this car harder than MR average in his old Serria and you will have more power going to the wheels.

[Edited on 21/3/05 by carlgeldard]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 21/3/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Carl,
No offence taken, but its precisely because I'm not a qualified welder, that I modified my uprights in this way, rather than attempt welding in larger tubes. I reckon if I had done, I would definitely compromise the strength of the upright due to my inept welding.
If the tube is so fundamental to the strength of the upright, why is it not welded around its cicumference to the same degree on the outer face of the upright? Is it possible that its only purpose is to prevent water ingress into the cavity of the upright?
As regards taking material off the stub shaft, the lobro shafts are far more substantial than the push-in type drive shafts that were fitted. They are not hardened (apart from the ABS teeth) and are merely cast steel.
The amount of power the shafts will have to transmit will be similar to that of a Sierra (I'm going to fit a Fireblade engine - approx 130bhp ) but through a much lighter vehicle and hence due to having to overcome less inertia to get the vehicle moving I would suggest be subject to less stress?
I also went down this route because 'Lightning' had done this on his Avon last year and has suffered no detrimental effects since (touch wood!)
As regards cost, the only outlay was the tenner to have the stubshafts turned down by a local engineering firm.

Regards,

Andy.

DaveFJ

posted on 22/3/05 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
maybe I am missing something - but the 'tube' in my standard rear hubs is actually just a thin strip of metal vary badly tacked (to overlap) into a circle, from memory I would say it is only about 0.8mm thick. Do I take from opthers posts that their hubs are different to this ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

carlgeldard

posted on 22/3/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Avon Uprights

The one's that I modified had I piece of tube in the middle, that had a wall thickness of 3.2mm. This was welded all the way around on the outside of the upright and was stitched on the inside of the upright but on the outside face of the tube. (Inside the upright and can only be seen during manufacture or as I did when cutting up the upright.) I still say that this needs to be welded. What I will do when I modifiy Grahams uprights is to grind off all the weld as what has been done and subject it to visual and destructive tests and then let you know what I find.
I cannot be fairer than that.

Carl

Northy

posted on 22/3/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
What I will do when I modifiy Grahams uprights is.......

.......and subject it to visual and destructive tests.......

Carl

Graham

Viper

posted on 23/3/05 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
now because i have been away for a while and because i am a lazy bastard i havent bothered to read all of this thread .
but
all the probs i have seen posted about havent affected me at all, why, because i used a doner that didn't have abs and i made my own uprights because tigers ones are.... well all who know me know what i think of tigers stuff

carlgeldard

posted on 23/3/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Welderman

http://www.fat-pie.com/bfmtrailer.htm
Northy

posted on 26/3/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again Carl Rescued attachment Modified uprights.jpg
Rescued attachment Modified uprights.jpg

Graham

carlgeldard

posted on 26/3/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
From that angle it looks like the tube is welder off centre GOOD JOB IT'S NOT!!!! And you could have painted them first.

Carl

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.