Author: Subject: Rear disk pictures?
Lightning

posted on 23/2/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sunday should be Ok

Steve

andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
would Sunday afternoon be o.k - say about 1.30 -2.00ish? (SWMBO's doing a car boot in the morning and so I'll be entertaining the kids.)

Andy.

Lightning

posted on 23/2/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thats OK. BTW have you got Rob Dukes Tel No.? U2U me

Steve

andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Steve,
I thought I had it in an old email - must've deleted it.
But he does sign on this forum as 'robbydee' if you want to U2U him.

See you Sunday....

Andy.

Lightning

posted on 23/2/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
No worries just left a post on SWTOC. Like the sound of a sprint do in Cornwall

[Edited on 23/2/05 by Lightning]

Steve

andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, sounds great, I tried to find some info earlier on Portreath 'Run what yer brung' with very little success. Only snippet I found states that spectators and photography isn't allowed! which is a bit of a bummer! May ask for more info on 'events' section.

BTW, did you renew your rear hub bearings? If so, where did you get them from? and did they come with the oil seals?

Did you have to remove the ABS teeth when you fitted the driveshafts?

I've got one of the hubs bubbling merrily away in the electrolysis bath at the mo' so will try to source new bearings tomorrow.

Andy.

Lightning

posted on 23/2/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
no

no

and don't know where

helpful arnt I

Steve

Northy

posted on 26/2/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking at the bits and doing a fair bit of thinking....

I'm just coming up with a cunning plan that will be much less work than fabbing new uprights, but more work than just bolting them on.

I'll look into if its possible tomorrow and hopefully post pictures.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 26/2/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Can't wait Baldrick

Steve

Northy

posted on 26/2/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 26/2/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
So Graham,
Have you got rid of the ABS teeth yet?
I've tried to undo the six torx bolts to remove the joint and splined shaft assy from the driveshaft itself but they're stuck fast! (I've sheared one torx bit trying, already.)
Was wondering if they're a lefthand thread like the L/H retaining nut?
Apart from that, I've had great results de-rusting the hub carriers and drive flanges in the electrolysis bath! It works brilliantly!

Regards,

Andy.

decay

posted on 7/3/05 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
New rear uprights created: Rescued attachment upright.jpg
Rescued attachment upright.jpg

decay

posted on 7/3/05 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tigers own compared Rescued attachment uprightoldnnew.jpg
Rescued attachment uprightoldnnew.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 14/3/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by decay
Hi
I,ve come to the same problem and found a few sticking points when using the stock avon rear drum upright with disk hubs.

1) The 4 holes of the hub do not line up with the tapped holes in the upright

This has aparently been solved by welding up, redrilling and tapping according to tiger. Just how you are going to drill and tap a hole 15mm? deep is beyond my ability. You are going to need a neat flat bottom drill bit.

Whilst your at this make sure the holes are dead square around the centre hole or the drive shaft will hit. In its current state it aint pretty.

2) The Lobro shaft end is to dam big to fit in the hole. You could lathe it down taking off the ABS teeth so the sides are parallel. POINT A on photo

3) The Lobro shaft end is to dam short to fit, when the baring is tightened up it pulls the shaft end in to meet the inside edge of the upright, You would have to lathe some metal off POINT B off the shaft and take back the lip of metal on the inside of the upright.

After much thought I'm going to ebay my uprightd and build completly new ones base on the Luego design of a flat plate that everything is either welded of bolted to, a vast improvement.

What a pain in the ar.e this disc and LSD conversion is turning out to be!
Firstly, I had the dia. of the stub shaft turned down (inc. ABS teeth) to 75mm along its length so that it passes through the rear uprights no prob. (Local engineering firm charged a mere £10 to do both sides.) Yes, the ABS teeth are hardened but a carbide tipped tool soon made easy work of them!

Sure enough, the holes in the disc type bearing carrier did not line up with the holes in the upright but, again, use of a round file to elongate the holes soon fixed that little problem. Although my calipers are going to have to be mounted on the front of side of the hub as opposed to the rear (like Lightning's)

But the main problem is that when tightening the hub nut, the whole of the stub shaft is pulled through the inboard side of the upright and the lobro flange is then fouling the upright. This means that the hub nut cannot fully tighten onto the wheel bearings and so there is about 5mm plus play in the bearings (same as 'Decay' is experiencing in point 3 of his above thread).

Iwas wondering if the lobro stub shafts on non-ABS disc models are a different design? (Lightning, where are you? I believe you fitted non-ABS type drive shafts)

Andy.

Northy

posted on 15/3/05 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

Lightning swopped the uprights from side to side to put the caliper at the rear.

Still not done mine

Graham

Avoneer

posted on 15/3/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Told you all - new tube in the upright. An afternoons work and hardly any expense. Job done.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Northy

posted on 15/3/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Pat,

How do you suggestyou do that then Easily?

Don't you think it would be easier to make new ones?

Graham

decay

posted on 16/3/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the photos, of before and after.
me thinks you need a very well equiped workshop to be able to do that (twice) in an afternoon. Rescued attachment uprights.jpg
Rescued attachment uprights.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 16/3/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a long afternoon then.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

carlgeldard

posted on 16/3/05 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Uprights

Hey that my upright on the right.Stripped the suspension made the jig and did the mods in about 3 hrs. It takes longer for the paint to dry.

Come on Graham get you finger out. I will have passed my SVA at this rate.

Carl

PS Thats both in 3 hrs

[Edited on 16/3/05 by carlgeldard]

Northy

posted on 16/3/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
But Carl, aren't you a welder? And didn't you make them from scratch?
As I said, probably easier to make them from scratch, rather than modify existing ones

Graham

carlgeldard

posted on 16/3/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Welder

Yes I was a welder in a passed life. The uprights were bought from Tiger thats why I have modified them just like everthing from Tiger.

Things from Tiger that I got

Book & Dimensions (Crap)
Uprights (Also Crap)
Bodywork (words fails)
Steering rack (fine but did'nt fit chassis as the book was wrong)

Graham do you want me to modify your uprights for you.

Carl

andrew.carwithen

posted on 16/3/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
Hey that my upright on the right.Stripped the suspension made the jig and did the mods in about 3 hrs. It takes longer for the paint to dry.

Carl

PS Thats both in 3 hrs

[Edited on 16/3/05 by carlgeldard]

Carl,
As you've made up jigs, does that mean you'll be offering an Avon upright modification service to the rest of us? (for a price, of course!)

Andy.

Northy

posted on 16/3/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Music to my ears!

How did you do it Carl? I don't think I'd trust my welding to suspension parts

Did you alter the mounting plate also to put the holes in the right place?

Cheers

[Edited on 16/3/05 by Northy]

Graham

carlgeldard

posted on 16/3/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
upright service

Why don't I do Graham's uprights and he can take photos and write a description. Then post the results on here for you to do yourself. A small price to pay don't you think Graham.

Carl

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.