Board logo

Fuel tank filler position
Black Cat - 11/5/07 at 09:32 PM

Hi
Is there any reason why the fuel pipe filler neck on the fuel tank cannot be on the side rather than the top of the tank as supplied by Tiger.

I was thinking about altering mine so that the boot area could be kept clear.

Ketchup - 11/5/07 at 09:38 PM

no reason why you cant put it where you like, i wouldnt personally have one on the side because even tho tank is baffled, you may get petrol sloshing back up the filler neck, and possibly down the car

jambo - 11/5/07 at 09:41 PM

most on the side are a pain in the ass to fill if i were building again it would be on top streight down

scutter - 12/5/07 at 05:53 AM

I agree with Jambo, I remade the rear panel and moved the filler position to the boot lid on my car as we worked it out as around 20/Sec a litre to fill.

ATB Dan.

speedyxjs - 12/5/07 at 08:00 AM

Why dont you just put it on the top but right on the side? This way you wont get petrol 'sloshing' up the filler neck, and you will be able to keep the boot space reasonable clear!

Rudy - 12/5/07 at 09:06 AM

Could it be ok? Rescued attachment Filler.JPG
Rescued attachment Filler.JPG

Mark Allanson - 12/5/07 at 09:57 AM

Definately go for the shortest route to the tank, this setup takes longer than the 3 min time limit to fill

Mark Allanson - 12/5/07 at 09:57 AM

soory forgot the pickie Rescued attachment Boot Compartment.jpg
Rescued attachment Boot Compartment.jpg

Black Cat - 12/5/07 at 11:12 AM

I'm not sure if I made myself quite cleal in what I intended to do, my thought was to cut the fuel tank filler neck stub from the top of the tank, as shown in the book on page 85, and then cut a hole on the side of the tank, as near as possible to the top and then weld the stub back on, I would then connect up the rubber filler pipe and bring it up sharply to the filler cap that I intent to position high on the back of the car.

I am comfortable that it will work and I don't think that there will be any problem when filling the tank but is there any reason that it might fail the SVA test?

Many thanks