Board logo

Brake pedal rod???
mark.s - 25/9/06 at 08:13 PM

help please

Do you have to make a rod up yourself to connect from the brake pedal to the mastercylinder or can you modify the one the one that runs through the servo...if you can could you tell me how please

cheers mark

matt.c - 25/9/06 at 09:20 PM

Yeh! sell the avon and buy a Mk!

Sorry mate

Danozeman - 26/9/06 at 06:46 AM

quote:

Yeh! sell the avon and buy a Mk!

Buy a Luego

Back to seriousness.

Its much easier to make one mate. Use a piece of threaded rod rounded at one end to go into the m/c. Then a bracket to connect to your pedal.

Failing that i think Mac1 etc sell proper ones for sod all.

nitram38 - 26/9/06 at 07:14 AM

Doesn't the "rounded end" have to be trapped in th M/C by a circlip?
Otherwise it could come out!!!!!!!!
I suggest going to a breakers, finding one that fits your M/C and then extend it by welding and sleeving it if you need to.
You are talking about something that you owe your life too.
The sva will not spot a missing circlip behind the M/C rubber, but you might!!!

whitestu - 26/9/06 at 07:39 AM

There isn't a circlip in the Sierra MC - the rod just pushes in and is held in by the pedal.

Unless the pedal or rod / clevis breaks it can't come out.

Stu

James - 26/9/06 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Doesn't the "rounded end" have to be trapped in th M/C by a circlip?

Not on my car it doesn't.

Pedal is prevented from falling back by a piece of steel strip welded to the pedal mount.

Others use a bolt through the floor of the car.

HTH,
James

nitram38 - 26/9/06 at 07:44 AM

That's me put right!
I have used individual cylinders and mine are circlipped.

DaveFJ - 26/9/06 at 08:00 AM

The standard Avon arangement is very simple. there is a diagram of the rod in the book so you could get ot made by someone with a lathe. alternativelt just buy it from Tiger - it will only be a few pounds.

basically it is a rod with a step in it and a thread at one end. it pushes into the M/C and the other (threaded) end goes to the brake pedal. you fit a nyloc nut to the threaded portion purely to form a rounded shoulder for the pedal to press against. clear as mud?

02GF74 - 26/9/06 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
There isn't a circlip in the Sierra MC - the rod just pushes in and is held in by the pedal.

exactly right. look at ral des catalogue at the clevis page; the M8 one with a headless bolt fits; you may fit a M10 bolt but there would be no side clearance.

Fishface - 26/9/06 at 12:43 PM

just get one from tiger and dont waste any more time on it. They cost next to nothing, it would of cost me more trying to make one.

mark.s - 26/9/06 at 07:02 PM

thanks for the advice lads especialy matt, but we both know there not quick enough mate

Rudy - 27/9/06 at 07:02 PM

This is Avon M/C pushrod.
I had it from a kind man (member of this wonderful forum). Rescued attachment Pushrod.jpg
Rescued attachment Pushrod.jpg