Board logo

Fuel pump location
Ian D - 3/4/06 at 09:19 PM

I have mounted my fuel pump for my fuel injected ZETEC under the top rail behind the seat. The aim being to keep it as high and away from water as possible. Is this going to cause a problem as I have read somewhere that the pump needs to be below the bottom of the tank as it needs to be gravity fed?

Thanks

mark chandler - 3/4/06 at 09:35 PM

Not a good place I,m afraid, it needs to be level or even below the bottom of the tank, these are vane pumps so do not easily self prime and the fuel cools the motor.

Making it the highest point of the fuel line is asking for trouble as fuel will leech back to the tank when turned off and the pump will overheat/burn out in a few minutes while struggling to pull fuel uphill when you start.

Regards Mark

Andrew Bause - 3/4/06 at 10:44 PM

Hi Ian,

My Bosch pump is mounted where yours is, as per attached picture. My AVON has covered over 8500 mile since SVA last May with no problems so far...

Cheers!

Andy Bause Rescued attachment tiger22 017.jpg
Rescued attachment tiger22 017.jpg

k33ts - 3/4/06 at 10:46 PM

mines there aswell with no problems.

Danozeman - 4/4/06 at 05:27 AM

IIRC it depends what pump you have. If its a bike pump i think it should be lower or level with the bottom of the tank as they are primarily gravity fed.

quote:

as fuel will leech back to the tank when turned off and the pump will overheat/burn out in a few minutes while struggling to pull fuel uphill when you start.

A one way valve would soon stop the fuel draining back to the tank.

Ian D - 7/4/06 at 06:54 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the commets. The pump I have is a SYTEC Feul injection pump FP603.

It does say its a rotary pump. but in the instructions there is no mention of needing to be gravity fed.

Ian