Board logo

Extreme toe-out
andrew.carwithen - 4/9/05 at 09:03 PM

Hi all,
Originally I couldn't get the front wheels to toe-out enough without leaving only a couple of threads still engaged in the track rod ends. (V. unsafe!)
No problem, I thought, contact Tiger and get a pair of track rod extensions as shown fitted in the book.
Duly arrived, fitted and now I have the opposite extreme of excessive toe-out!
I noticed, however, that with the extensions,locknuts and TRE's fully tightened up, there was about 10mm of exposed thread on track rods. So I have removed this to help shorten the rack but still have way too much toe-out.
As I bought kit second-hand I'm wondering if indeed its got the correct rack fitted in first place? (looks like other Avons though!)
Hence, I was wondering if fellow Avon owners could measure the width of their racks (inc. track rods) so I can compare to mine?

Many thanks,

Andy.

Lightning - 4/9/05 at 09:08 PM

You may want to hold fire Andy as Rob C and I are making wider wishbones for the front so that the track is almost that of the rear.

Northy - 4/9/05 at 09:11 PM

Oh, interested!
I was going to send my from wishbones to GTS so they could use them to jig up some wider fronts but it never happened last winter

Maybe this winter.

andrew.carwithen - 4/9/05 at 09:23 PM

Hello Steve!
Where you been hiding then!
Long time no hear on here or SWTOC!
Are you going to Ant's BBQ on 18th?
Interesting about the wishbones...will you have to fit a wider rack then (Sierra?)

Andy.

Lightning - 4/9/05 at 09:33 PM

Possibly

Just got back from Florida.

Has Ants BBQ moved date then? I'll look on the web site

Lightning - 4/9/05 at 09:45 PM

Disneyworld with the kids

Please note my South West Tiger Owners Club tee shirt

[Edited on 4/9/05 by Lightning] Rescued attachment dino.jpg
Rescued attachment dino.jpg

Northy - 10/9/05 at 07:47 AM

Lightning, any more details on wider wishbones?

Lightning - 13/9/05 at 08:01 PM

Not yet, we have the steel and are making the jig.

Monkeybasher - 16/9/05 at 07:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
You may want to hold fire Andy as Rob C and I are making wider wishbones for the front so that the track is almost that of the rear.

Is this to improve handling?

I always thought they looked like they could do with being a bit wider, especially as I cant get as much camber as I would like on the front.

I would be very interested in a set

Monkeybasher - 6/10/05 at 10:17 AM

Sorry a bit off topic but

How much camber can you guys get on your avon at the front?

I was hoping to run -1.5 all round but can only get -0.7 at the front. I think I will need to grind the wishbone a bit.

Also what are the standard spring rating of the GAZ struts.

Cheers

Steve

Lightning - 6/10/05 at 05:03 PM

what youve got will do fine. I've got 1 degree on the rear and neutral on the front. The rear tyres are wearing on the inside. Track days don't help though

Monkeybasher - 6/10/05 at 05:58 PM

With -0.7 at the front, my tyres look like they are running quite a bit harder on the outer edge than the inner edge. The inner looks new after two track days. I dont run any toe in or out though front or back, I dont know if this matters. I just thought by the way my front left looked I needed more camber. I run 18psi and standard GAZ setup. The rears (-1) wear in the middle which makes me think the tyre pressure is still too high at 18psi.

Oh hang on just remembered you got a fireblade, being so much lighter must make the difference. Maybe I need stronger springs?

Cheers

Steve Rescued attachment IMGP1821.JPG
Rescued attachment IMGP1821.JPG

Lightning - 6/10/05 at 09:00 PM

Probably right. The weight must make a difference. My fronts are wearing evenly after 3000miles and 2 track days. A lot less weight though. I have slight toe in on the front.