Board logo

Fuel tank mountings
shades - 29/6/05 at 06:01 PM

Has anyone got any pics of how they have attached their fuel tank?

Not quite sure how the tank straps should be attched to the chassi. I know the straps wrap round the tank.... but then all i end up with is a tank with straps wrapped round it?

nick205 - 29/6/05 at 06:51 PM

Fit some rivnuts into the chassis and then bolt the straps down using some foam between the straps and the tank.

HTH

Nick

jonbeedle - 29/6/05 at 08:18 PM

Wrap straps round the tank and bolt both free ends of each strap to the rear lower chassis member.

shades - 30/6/05 at 07:36 AM

Thanks, had considered these ideas. Problem is when i put the tank in place on the chassi, it falls through the hole. it does not rest on anything. According to the book the two options are 1: weld some straps across the bottom of the tank and bolt these from underneath. 2: wrap straps around the tank?

I have a plan, but I was just wanting to see some pics to see how others have done it on the avon.

DaveFJ - 30/6/05 at 10:44 AM

I worry about the idea of welding straps to the tank and bolting it to the chassis. I think that fatigue would cause cracks to appear and the tank to leak.

personally I intend to use two straps over the tank bolted down to two thicker strips of metal which are in turn bolted to the chassis - clear as mud ?
Description
Description

[Edited on 30/6/05 by DaveFJ]

shades - 30/6/05 at 12:17 PM

Thanks, yea that makes more sense. Guess I need some thick metal straps