Board logo

steering shaft in the way
marshall - 20/4/05 at 08:18 PM

i was just going to fit the alernator braket
and it hits the steering shaft what do i do
do i need to rase the engine and put some spacers in and if so can i do this with out a engine crane( Avon builder).
if so were do i get the spacers from?

JoelP - 20/4/05 at 09:08 PM

i had the same problem with my car. I moved the column by adding another joint. I tried using a smaller belt, but it was too hard to get on.

raising the engine probably isnt the best solution (imho), as it raises the bonnet line, the CoG and exhaust exit.

another alternative is to get a smaller altenator

tri - 20/4/05 at 09:24 PM

we used a different bracket but the same alternator took alot of effort but we think it worth it

Avoneer - 20/4/05 at 10:50 PM

I had to chop 10mm of each of the three alternator mounting posts that are on the block - and use a Lucas LRA101 alternator and smaller belt.
Pat...

marshall - 21/4/05 at 05:49 AM

thanks all but it is the braket that is hiting the steering shaft i can only get 1 bolt in place i will be useing the lucas101-100 has anyone got any pics to help me plz

DaveFJ - 21/4/05 at 07:49 AM

i would have thought that Avoneer's suggestion of chopping down the lugs on the block would have worked for you ? that will certainly shift the mounting bracket away from the streeing shaft.

James - 21/4/05 at 08:16 AM

Marshall,

Do you mean that crappy triangular lump of steel that weighs about 2 kilos? File it under B I N!
Replace the mount with some 3mm plate and the alernator with one from a Bedford Rascal.

HTH,
James

marshall - 22/4/05 at 10:40 AM

this is the pain in the ass i am going on about Rescued attachment Sscn0571.jpg
Rescued attachment Sscn0571.jpg

Avoneer - 22/4/05 at 11:50 AM

Minw was no where near that even before I cut down the lugs????????????????????????????
Will tray and take a pic later.
Pat...

Northy - 22/4/05 at 12:08 PM

Is that mount made of steel?

There's a shorter ali one used on the cortina thats better, I gave one to Colin. There's one on Ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21654&item=4544890303&rd=1

I think this one will be shorter.

Cheers

john_p_b - 22/4/05 at 02:05 PM

make a bracket and fit a shorter belt, took a few attempts between my dad and i but we got it there in the end and it's a pretty simplistic bracket. i believe westfield sell the bracket with the adjuster for about 30 quid but seriously you can knock one up in about 20 minutes

Avoneer - 22/4/05 at 03:59 PM

Yeah, but I used the original mounting with the same alternator without any probs.
Didn't hit even before I cut the posts down.
Pat...

Peteff - 22/4/05 at 06:18 PM

marshall - 23/4/05 at 08:37 AM

it is the rigth way up as the bolts are in a
triangle 2 at the top 1 at the bottom but i will try today

marshall - 23/4/05 at 04:54 PM

right i have sorted the prob out i phoned
tiger the MOT place and spoke to colin
and he looked at his avon and he said i need the ali one so i went to the scap yard and got two for the price off 1 1 in the tool box and 1 in hand is the one i paid for only £2..
thanks for all your help and advice