Board logo

discuss !
ayoungman - 26/1/05 at 04:44 PM

Nice weekend, plenty of sun, not too cold. fitted polo rad onto chassis using home made brackets. What do we think ? Rescued attachment DSCF0293.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0293.JPG

zetec - 26/1/05 at 04:52 PM

That should do the job, did you try it with the nose cone fitted? Most standard size ones need the rad tilted back to get them to fit.

ayoungman - 26/1/05 at 05:25 PM

Its one of the smaller polo rads, there are three different sizes. I had a good measure up first + will have fingers crossed until nose cone goes on !!!!!

ayoungman - 26/1/05 at 05:25 PM

Its one of the smaller polo rads, there are three different sizes. I had a good measure up first + will have fingers crossed until nose cone goes on !!!!!

Hellfire - 26/1/05 at 06:07 PM

doesn't look like the nose cone would fit to me... have you tried it?

ayoungman - 27/1/05 at 12:07 PM

no, not yet, had a good measure up first though, it might be a little tight !

Northy - 27/1/05 at 12:42 PM

Are they strong enough!

It'll fit easy, there's loads of room in there. Mines fitted dead upright!

DaveFJ - 27/1/05 at 01:00 PM

Question?

If that is the smallest radiator, what are it's dimensions?

do you think you could get away with a slightly wider one ? - it looks like there would be room....

- I haven't got my rad yet so am looking for all the advice i can get.

Cheers

mattdearden - 27/1/05 at 02:55 PM

Afternoon Avon peeps

I need to fit a new radiator this winter to my Cat, as the Tiger supplied one is now leaking even more

I've got a part number of a Polo rad from German, Swedish and French:

gsf no17321B

However, it only has the 2 big inlet/outlet connections and not one for the header tank.

Looking at your photo, it looks like that one has an inlet for the header? If so, could you tell me the part number and it's dimentions. And if not, how are you planning on plumbing it in?

cheers

[Edited on 27/1/05 by mattdearden]

Avoneer - 27/1/05 at 04:48 PM

The Avon nose is a lot wider than most, as is the front of the chassis...

ayoungman - 28/1/05 at 09:49 AM

I had a slightly larger polo rad, it was 520mm wide and a little taller, but found this one on another visit to a scrappy. I'll measure up this one tomorrow and let you know the measurements on Monday. The brackets are inch square section tube held with M 10 set screws at the top and a folded steel cross member at the bottom.

mattdearden - 28/1/05 at 10:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ayoungman
I had a slightly larger polo rad, it was 520mm wide and a little taller, but found this one on another visit to a scrappy. I'll measure up this one tomorrow and let you know the measurements on Monday. The brackets are inch square section tube held with M 10 set screws at the top and a folded steel cross member at the bottom.
Sound's quite a bit bigger than the one I am looking at. The GSF one is:

330 mm high approximately
470 mm wide approximately

but doesn't have an inlet for the header tank. Does your's? and if not, how do you plan on plumbing it in?

cheers

ayoungman - 28/1/05 at 03:21 PM

Mine has got a small diameter connection on the top left hand side above the main hose connection.

mattdearden - 28/1/05 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ayoungman
Mine has got a small diameter connection on the top left hand side above the main hose connection.
I think that's an overflow takeoff and hence should be blanked off(?).

On the Tiger rad there's an inlet in the middle of the bottom of the rad for the expansion tank. Do you recon it's ok to have it there?

[Edited on 28/1/05 by mattdearden]

ayoungman - 31/1/05 at 08:56 AM

Now you've got me guessing ! I'll pay another visit to Tiger in plumstead on saturday and will try and sort out an answer !

Loads of people have used polo rads so it must be achievable. Anyone got a schematic to show how to plumb one into a pinto engine ?