Board logo

Rear Brake Caliper brackets
studon - 16/1/05 at 10:30 AM

Hi all,

I am having difficulty in positioning rear sierra calipers to my hubs. The problem is the std laser cut adapter plate Tiger supplies puts the caliper at an angle that makes the handbrake cable entry foul with the top of the hub carrier.
It looks possible to position the caliper at 9'o'clock trailing (so the caliper is vertical).
has anybody done this?

I have drawn up a new mounting plate on CAD to get laser cut however if someone out there has already done it. I would be very interested to know the end solution.

Thanks

Stuart

Northy - 16/1/05 at 05:02 PM

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but I'm about to upgrade from drum to rear disk brakes on my Avon this winter so would like to know what you find out.....

Cheers

tractorboy - 17/1/05 at 12:08 AM

not wishing to sound clever ,but from memory the backing plates fit on the other side from which they were removed from the doner (eg left hand backing plate fits on the right hand side) and the hand brake cable enters the brake from the rear as apposed to the front. im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong . or have i got hold of the wrong end of the stick with respect to your problem?

scott

Avoneer - 17/1/05 at 12:27 PM

No back plates with discs tractorboy.
Pat...

Lightning - 17/1/05 at 09:31 PM

I changed the hub plates side to side. The shafts must remain though as left hand thread on one side. The caliper is therefore at the rear. The handbrake cable follows a sensible curve back to the tunnel without fouling anything. Rescued attachment Calipers.jpg
Rescued attachment Calipers.jpg

tractorboy - 17/1/05 at 10:21 PM

glad i wasnt too far from the mark even if i was talking about a completely different set up cheers pat thanks for pointing out the fact i need reading lessons!!!!!!!!!!!

Avoneer - 17/1/05 at 10:38 PM

No probs - sounded a bit to sarcy the way I put it, but no offence meant.
I was born in Salford after all!
Pat...

studon - 18/1/05 at 01:08 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the photo, that is exactly what I am after. I am still a bit confused regarding your comment that you swopped the plates over side to side. The plates I have from Tiger do not allow the caliper to be positioned vertical in any configuration. Have you any details of your mounting plates? did you get them from Tiger?
Thanks again for your help

Stuart

Lightning - 18/1/05 at 04:38 PM

I ment the hub bearing assembley. This was to position it towards the top, rear facing.....if I remember correctly.

Going to remove the road wheels to repair the rear arch in the next few days so I can sent better pics if you want.

studon - 18/1/05 at 10:10 PM

OK I didnt think of that I have just concentrated on the plates themselves. I will have another go at the weekend. Appreciate it if you do get a chance to take some pics.

thanks again,

Stuart