Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mk indy brakes
g morgan

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
mk indy brakes

I need help please ,I have fitted the brakes to my indy it has wilwood calipers on the front and sierra on the rear. With a new sierra master cylinder.Having bled the brakes several times the pedal still goes to the floor on the first push then it gets better.What could be the problem,I am starting to pull my hair out.
mackei23b

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you have discs on the rear, you'll need to take the rear calipers off and bleed with the nipple at the top. Don't know if that helps?

Cheers

Ian

Hellfire

Sounds like you have air in the MC. The Sierra MC has a strange tandem type double seal system utilising one rod with two seals feeding front/rear systems.

It is a bit of a bitch...

Also - it depends on the route of your rear lines. Sometimes airlocks are very common... You really have to fire it through. Are you turning the rear calipers upside down to release all air out of the calipers. If you are doing it in-situ then the air will not escape from the top inside of the caliper.

Using a one-man bleeding system is beneficial as it automatically shuts off feedback of air and allows a fast rate to expell air.

Persiverence is the key...

Steve

vindicator

I had the same problem that seemed to get worse as time went on. I had dual m/c's one for the front and the other for the back.

I was also given the advice to start at the front and bleed and if this did not work try starting with the back brakes and work forward to the m/c.

It turned out that inside the front m/c the inside was scored and had some rubber bits inside. Had a new one given, fitted and re-bled and the brakes are ok.
hth

//timr.spaces.live.com

[Edited on 3-9-2008 by vindicator]

mad-butcher

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
You haven't got any nasty humps in the pipe work have you. ie up and over the dif, this tends to cause problems pushing the fluid over, I personaly use a gunson pressure bleeder, is it sierra discs or drums on the rear if discs have you taken them off to bleed them, the bleed nipple needs to be at the top
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same problem.

It turned out to air in the system. As said, you need to unbolt the rear calipers and rotate them so the bleed valve it as high as possible - keep the pads fatened around the disc though as you truggle otherwise (I found out the gard way!). I also bled every union which all had a it of air trapped in them.

You'll also need to bleed it a few imes over, giving it a day or so to settle as you'll get some mnute bubbles suspended in the fluid that will settle overnight.

Brakes feel good now though!

[Edited on 3/9/08 by StevieB]

mad-butcher

posted on 3/9/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I had a pic on bleeding the rears Rescued attachment P7100017.JPG
Rescued attachment P7100017.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.