Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Help (dropped my diff on the floor)
Catpuss

posted on 24/2/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Help (dropped my diff on the floor)

Arrg, fooking thing slid off the table and dropped about 2 feet. Looks OK (back plate was off) but the top hole on the back of the main body of the diff broke off. Sort of like:

_____
/..........O <- Here
|........... |
|...Back..|
| .......... |
O--------/

Its not part of the seal, but is that hole used on the indy assembly at all? If so I guess I'll have to have the loop welded on.

Also any tips on getting the drain bolt off cos I can't even move it using a MAPP gass blow lamp for heat.

[Edited on 24/2/07 by Catpuss]
Brddy proportional fonts

Hammerhead

posted on 24/2/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
the four holes at the back of the diff are needed on the indy. The ones that you have to put the long diff bolts through. I had a crack in mine and took it to MK, who welded it for me, not sure if they did it free or cost £10.

Catpuss

posted on 24/2/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
the four holes at the back of the diff are needed on the indy. The ones that you have to put the long diff bolts through. I had a crack in mine and took it to MK, who welded it for me, not sure if they did it free or cost £10.

Hi, not sure if its those as there looks like there is only two on the very back of the diff body (facing back to front, not left to right IYSWIM).

If you look at

Its the top left loop (but mine are push in rather than bolt on shafts)

Hammerhead

posted on 24/2/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
heres mine fitted Rescued attachment DSC01922 copy.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC01922 copy.jpg

Catpuss

posted on 24/2/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
heres mine fitted

Cheers dude.

Looks like its just a loop hole for either feeding stuff through or help with the assembly line work

martyn_16v

posted on 24/2/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Prolly just a lifting eye. If you're sure that's the only damage then i'd use it...
Catpuss

posted on 24/2/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Prolly just a lifting eye. If you're sure that's the only damage then i'd use it...

Thanks. Yep I've had a good look at it (the back was off at the time). It sort of slid off the bit of carpet so made an ungraceful sliding roll rather than a bang. Turned the gears and given it a visual inspection. Nothing internal looks dented or feels any different. No bits of garage floor debis entered the box.

Got the back plate off my other diff (its a 3.92) so I'm going to use that to get around the seized fill plug problem.

bodger

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't get my drain plug off, in fact round out the socket. Got MK to weld a bolt on since I was up there picking up my kit. The heat from the welding seemed to do the trick & it then came off no probs with my impact wrench.
major

posted on 25/2/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The same thing hapened to me, only it was a G3 server. It slide of the table when I was working on the other end.

marc.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.