Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing Drive Shafts from Indy?
Colnago_Man

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Removing Drive Shafts from Indy?

Hello, just spend a very cold hour trying to remove the drive shafts from the back of an Indy. I was hoping the shafts would just slide through the upright once I'd undone the four bolts, but they wont quite fit the diameter of the drive shaft housing is almost identical to that of the hole in the upright.
Is this a fail safe perhaps so if you break a shaft your wheels dont leave you?

Thanks.

Bluemoon

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Humm, mine do slide out, it's a rear drum set up though..

Dan

macnab

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
that don't sound right, I can remove mine without use of a hammer etc.

might be rust build up

[Edited on 9/2/07 by macnab]

Wadders

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
The wheel wont go anywhere even if a shaft snaps. are they lobros or push in shafts?
If lobros you undo all the lobro bolts and the shafts and joints lift out without disturbing the uprights. Push in's require you to undo the top wishbone/upright joint.
I'm speaking from ST experience here, not MK, but i think they will be virtually the same.
Al.

Originally posted by Colnago_Man
Hello, just spend a very cold hour trying to remove the drive shafts from the back of an Indy. I was hoping the shafts would just slide through the upright once I'd undone the four bolts, but they wont quite fit the diameter of the drive shaft housing is almost identical to that of the hole in the upright.
Is this a fail safe perhaps so if you break a shaft your wheels dont leave you?

Thanks.

MikeR

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
daft question - why the difference for push ins?
Colnago_Man

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes its a drum set up.
Perhaps it is just rust, they dont seem bad at all, maybe its time for the tool.....

Thanks, at least I now know they should come out, back to the garage...

macnab

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
screw the hub bolt on again, and then a piece off wood over the end and give it a few thumps with a hammer. You will need to have the upright unbolted from the wishbones since it slides out from behind

Wadders

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike, its not a daft question, i only know cos iv'e had both systems on mine. Infact i now have push in at one end and lobro at the other using special shafts.

Push in joints and shafts are effectively one piece, so need some room to slide the splines out of the diff, hence the need to disturb the upright.
Lobros joints, bolt between diff output shaft face and hub centre face, with the shaft inbetween splined into each lobro, so once you undo the bolts they just lift out.

Al.

Originally posted by MikeR
daft question - why the difference for push ins?

Bluemoon

posted on 9/2/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
macnab, I don't think the hub nut comes into this.
You realy shoul'nt need to undo this to remove the rear safts if you are undoing the 4 bolts holding the bearing carrier ono the rear upright.

Undoing the hubnut is a no-no unless you can torque it up correctly, and it's a very high torque much higher than most 1/2" torque wrenches... And this nut is mission crititcal!

Colnago_Man take is slowly and put some pictures up if in doubt..

Dan

Dan

Colnago_Man

posted on 9/2/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Even more perplexed now, took the other side off and thats exactly the same.
Lightly sanded the end of the shaft housing and the inside of the upright but still no joy.
I guess if it doesnt come of then I'll have to paint them with the upright attached! Just hope the shaft/hub/upright never need replacing.
Will try and post a pic if I can take a decent enough one.

Thanks as ever for the help.

macnab

posted on 9/2/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
macnab, I don't think the hub nut comes into this.
You realy shoul'nt need to undo this to remove the rear safts if you are undoing the 4 bolts holding the bearing carrier ono the rear upright.

Undoing the hubnut is a no-no unless you can torque it up correctly, and it's a very high torque much higher than most 1/2" torque wrenches... And this nut is mission crititcal!

Colnago_Man take is slowly and put some pictures up if in doubt..

Dan

Dan

Hmm, how exacty do you get the hub onto the upright without taking the nut off cos as you can see from pic it the drive shaft has to pass through the hole in the upright, but since the hub is rather over size for hole, then the hub must be removed from the end of the drive shaft, in other word the nut needs removed...sure you could remove just the shaft by removing just the circlip inside the boot but that still leaves the joint itself.

[Edited on 9/2/07 by macnab] Rescued attachment hub.jpg
Rescued attachment hub.jpg

Colnago_Man

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Macnab, I'am taking the shafts out the other way. Eg Pulling them outwards from the car through the upright because they push into the diff.
My shafts look a little different from yours, yours seem to bolt it.
I'll take a pic shortly, that might help.
Thanks for you input.

Colnago_Man

posted on 10/2/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Heres the prob, the hole looks big enough but when the shaft goes forward an inche or so it catches on the next 'lip' along. Rescued attachment upright1.jpg
Rescued attachment upright1.jpg

Bluemoon

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Your CV boots look diffrent to the ones on my push in shafts. I wonder if the boots have been changed to non-ford seira ones, this would'nt suprize me as the orginal ones are a bugger to change (you need to cut the old ones off and press them on). The orginal ones are very slim.

I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?

Dan

Bluemoon

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
macnab, I guess the bolt on shafts are very diffrent then to the push in ones. The pushins are rather neat as you can remove them complete, this is how I removed them from the donner and put them on the MK.

If you do have to remove the hub nut just ensure that you can torque it up correctly latter, I guess a frendly garage would would be happy to do that..

Cheers

Dan

gttman

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
mcnad your picture shows bolt on hubs rather than push fit ones so your hubs are completely different.

My push in shafts were attached to the hub and I simply pushed these through the Upright without undoing the big nut.

I also have the MK disk brake uprights and they still go through so it can't be that...... although I have to say its a very tight fit.
May I ask how did you get them on?

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Colnago_Man

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt put them on myself, the car was part build when I got it.

[Edited on 10/2/07 by Colnago_Man]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.