Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: No benchmark!
Chaz

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
No benchmark!

I've done around 600 miles in my indy now and i'm just starting to get used to how it handles.

But after a bit of tweaking it still doesnt cut it for me. When i drive my celica GT it feels solid, has v.positive steering, sensitive throttle + brakes and hard ride. This is what i'm comparing my mk to.

This is what i thought my mk would be like. Instead it lists/rolls heavily in comparison in corners, and i still dont totally trust the steering. The throttle and brakes are not trust worthy either with areas of uneven power application and braking.

Is it just a case of trial and error? I think i just need someone to thrash it round a track and say, this and thats needs doing....did anyone do this? Otherwise i feel its going to take years to fine tune! Any ideas?

tom_loughlin

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, i have exactly the same feeling - I dont really know how exactly I want my GTS to handle, so I dont know what to do....
Id love someone who knws their stuff to hammer it about, and then get it set up, then I can get used to it's proper handling.
My tubby is quicker in a straight line, and to me, handles better, steering is nicer too.
I'm sure the GTS just needs settin up properly, but I don't really know where to get it done.
Going to have a stage2 tune early spring though, so with any luck, the engine will be running better with no flat spots.

Tom

Jon Ison

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it needs a serious dose of setting up,

What spring rates you got ? 7's don't roll, there like a go kart, this can also affect the braking and acceleration if the wheels are not in proper contact with the road.

Front & rear tracking probably need looking at too.

edit too add, your celica should feel like a soft yank tank compared too the 7, if you get no better offers and the weather ok have a run over here in the xmas break, about 40min drive here, 20 back

[Edited on 17/12/06 by Jon Ison]

dilley

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I found this with mine, you have to be brave and it will stick like sh!t to a blanket.
locoboy

posted on 17/12/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think its got a lot to do with Balls!

it feels so different to your standard and very forgiving road car that it somehow feels wrong and unpredictable.

My old F27 was the same and if i had not driven it for a few months i couldn't just get back in the saddle and hammer it, i had to build myself and my confidence back up again.

There were many regular routes for me that i could have done quicker in my 1.6 focus than in my F27 but that was ME that was holding the car back, if someone with bigger man parts had got behind the wheel it would have been a one horse race.

Then again had the F27 been my daily driver then the table would have been turned and i would have no licence left lol.

The key is practice and push YOUR limits up to that of the car.

* obviously if there are serious handling issues that can be dialed out with a proper suspension and corner weighting session its a good place to start!............................

Then you can really begin to hammer the F*ck*r

[Edited on 17/12/06 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

oliwb

posted on 17/12/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit that for the first 20 odd miles it seemed odd and took all my concentration to drive the Tiger....now though it handles like nothing else! I have no problems with the steering the brakes feel fine (if perhaps a little heavy) it literally corners on rails. I had no problem tracking down a 911 in the twisty's the other day and frequently thrash my dad on his Ducati 999 on the bends. I for one have to say that the cars abilitles are far, far greater than mine and I've not once ever been able to upset it properly! And its not for lack of trying as IainB will testify! I'd get it down to your local garage and get them to set it up using a laser (you don't need a fancy race garage or anything to start with just ask ppl on here about good settings) and then get your local to do it. If it still needs tweeking you might need to spend more! It should handle like a go-kart out of the box though (even when not setup perfectly!)

Though perhaps this is the zero castor MK wishbones rearing their ugly heads - just wait for the torrent of abuse from MK owners.......
Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 17/12/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
When driving my Indy it does dart around more than I would like. This may be due to being a bec, so having a lighter front end, and theoretically needing more castor. However, this being the only 7 I've ever driven I can't really say what the others are like, but mine could do with more self centering than it has. Just for the record I have seirra uprights and bones.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

zxrlocost

posted on 17/12/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
HI I echo what chris and JOn have said

any of you who think you have handling issues with your car or it doesnt feel right etc

there is deff something not set up properly on the car like spring settings etc

the brakes push them hard there is no servo do they lock the front wheels??

DIY SI MK INDYS Do not self centre as standard I never found this a problem though?

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mookaloid

posted on 17/12/06 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
The Indy does roll a bit - see Chris Masons Avatar below which shows some roll. I suspect that this is more of an issue with a car engine and that the standard springs are more suited to bike engines.

Image deleted by owner

For Hill Climbing I have uprated my springs by 30 % ish all round which has helped a lot. Also the damper settings can have a marked effect on the feel of the car. I favour 2-3 clicks off max damping for the track but a couple or 3 less for the road. Backing the dampers right off feels down right dangerous to me.

My steering was much improved with a quick rack and with getting the tyre pressures right.

What pressures are you running?

Also have you measured your toe in and camber angles? what are they at just now?

Brakes can be much affected by the type of pads you use - they will need a good shove though as there is no servo assistance.

The engine and throttle response is down to engine tuning and set up - is your throttle linkage progressive or set up like an on/off switch?

HTH

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mookaloid

posted on 17/12/06 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost

MK INDYS Do not self centre as standard

Don't quite know what you mean by this as I can tell you that mine strongly self centres - particularly at speed.

Cheers

Mark

zxrlocost

posted on 18/12/06 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
if they self centred mate people wouldnt have to do all the stuff they do to get them to pass SVA

and I had a recent MK kit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Hellfire

posted on 18/12/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think the focus on CRM's (Chris Mason) avatar lean is a tad overstated. Those pictures were taken on a track and as such you would expect a certain amount of lean due to the forces/speed at which those pictures were taken. Having seen Chris on the track, I can vouch for his 'cavalier' (read: balls out) driving attitude. The Indy and all this ilk (no names, no pac-drill) respond very well to minor suspension changes on track. Our Indy originally was very skittish and unpredictable... Celica's are not well known for their handling are they... years of soft dampers and cheese springs testify to this. Comparing an MK Indy to any high production car is like comparing chalk and cheese. When the Indy is correctly set up it will inspire confidence that only a maniac can exploit... you obviously haven't set the car up properly - so do it! You will find it will do things you thought impossible.

Have you contacted MK for setup advice? They will only give you general figures but anything is better than nothing... as stated, using CRM's figures are a good benchmark make sure you measure the setup properly as any alteration from them will have a significant effect.

I must add... minor changes to suspension/setup will only be felt on a track with a fully competeant driver, such is the small difference. However, on a road setup only the major ones will have a noteable effect.

The largest effect on having the car not jump about is front wheel toe-in or toe-out. Having them parallel is the best starting point IMHO.

In the winter is not a good time to test the Indys' capabilities due to low tyre and road temperatures. In the summer, get a good set of tyres (TOYO's YOKO's etc... sh!t tyres, sh!t handling) and get it on a track and build up confidence... only then will you see what it can do!

The Indy will outperfrom virtually any production car in handling and performance if setup properly to do so. Though yours is a CEC so maybe not...

Steve

greggors84

posted on 18/12/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
When I first threw mine round a roundabout, what I really noticed is how little it rolled. Even with a big boat anchor up front!

The way I had it set up first, it understeered to easy, and it was quite a strange sensation, no body roll and still understeering. I was used to FWD where you have lots of roll before it lets go.

At the time I my daily driver was a 106 rallye and these dont roll much in corners, so its not like I was used to a 2CV.

Check you spring rates, dont think they are marked so you might have to find somewhere with a machine, unless you can DIY it at home. Then check you damper settings, as a starting point i set mine to the middle, which is about 6/7 from either end of adjustment.

I wouldnt imagine anything else would be giving you so much body roll in the corners, which is something you need to sort out first.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mookaloid

posted on 18/12/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I think the focus on CRM's (Chris Mason) avatar lean is a tad overstated.
Steve

I'm sorry Steve, I only said that Indys roll a bit - perhaps I should have said a 'little'

Anyway here's another shot of an Indy demonstrating a little roll, just to show that Chris isn't the only one who can get an Indy to roll (a little).

I hope Tony doesn't mind me 'borrowing' one of his photos for the purposes of illustration. In this picture my car has the uprated springs.

Incidentally it was largely by studying Tony's excellent pictures of my car on the move that I was able to work out what was happening with the suspension as a result of the roll and subsequent geometry changes.

Cheers

Mark Rescued attachment _MG_4432.jpg
Rescued attachment _MG_4432.jpg

mandbsheldon

posted on 18/12/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I can honestly say that my Indy drives superbly well. It seems well balanced and dosn't track at all. I can let go of the wheel, even on the most uneven roads and It stays as straight as a arrow. The roll could be down to heavy lumps up front with incorrect springs or damper settings.

When it went for SVA I wound out the steering rack to give me toe out (as everybody recommends), this made a massive change to the steering. I now have them set as straight as possible, not toe in as people recommend and it's fantastic!!

Chaz, I'm only in Nottingham, not far from you if you want to have a look or meet.

Leigh

[Edited on 18/12/06 by mandbsheldon]

Chaz

posted on 19/12/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Wow! Thanks for all your help guys, I'll have a look into all the things you mentioned and see if i can change anything. If i have no joy it would be nice to take you up on some offers to have a look at my car.

Many Thanks

Chaz

mandbsheldon

posted on 19/12/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
No problem. Plenty of spare time over Crimbo!!

Leigh

David Jenkins

posted on 20/12/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally, try and find someone with a well-setup car, and see if they'll take you out for a REALLY quick run. This should give you a clear idea of what your car should be capable of achieving.
David

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.