Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting Panels
mike smith1

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting Panels

We are going to start fitting the panels this weekend, any hint and tips??

Was going to hinge the nose cone, i have a piano style hinge, was wondering how others had done it?

I understand the order is:

Nose Cone
Scuttle ( lined up were bonnet falls)
Side Panels
Rear Panel

Any Other orders that have been found easier etc

Many Thanks Mike

zxrlocost

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
alright mike

make sure you lay the scuttle bonnet and nose out first to make sure its all in line

and remember what I was told about doing to the back panel meets side panel that I then told you ie spacing it out a bit

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mike smith1

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Is that packing it above the rear shock with some ali, to make it meet up??

Any news from Savage Mate?

Cheers Mike

nick205

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth I fitted the side panels first, then located the scuttle using the point where the side panels start to narrow towards the front of the car. Then I taped the bonnet in position and used this to get a position for the nose cone. I didn't hinge the nose cone as my rad was a very tight fit and wouldn't have allowed the nose to roll forward, but it would be a neat feature.

I still have the rear panel to fit when I work out what to do with the join between it and the side panels.

Best advice I can give is work slowly and carefully

HTH
Nick

zxrlocost

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
no news from them mate as said before I will send it as soon as it comes but as in message it will be the end of next week
they dont rush for no one

yes above rear shock right at top of chassis put something decent width aswel in there about 4mm thick as when you put the side panels on they sit ok at the back but when you try to fit the back panel its such a poor fit you have to get two people to push each side in and its under so much stress so two 4mm thick spacers each side OTB will help it a bit

obviously the very end of the side panel and start of the back panel will slightly be sticking out a bit but it looks perfect when its all together

hth chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

RazMan

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike smith1
We are going to start fitting the panels this weekend, any hint and tips??

The best tool I ever used for panel fitting is the Cleko

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mike smith1

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205 Best advice I can give is work slowly and carefully

HTH
Nick

It will definatly be slowly want to get it to look right, dont want to mess up!
Cheers Mike

mike smith1

posted on 13/1/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Will do Mr Snoopy! Do you fancy coming to fit them! lol

Any other tips Charlie? I know you are the expert!

Mike

[Edited on 13/1/06 by mike smith1]

Bluemoon

posted on 13/1/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Don't want to hijac the thread, but how to you know where to put the Scuttle if you place it first? I ask as I am making an Ali bonnet, and side pannels it's even more importent to know exactly were to put it...
Taz Surfleet

posted on 13/1/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
front of scuttle will only fit in one place to the top of footwells, then attach scuttle to it !
Bluemoon

posted on 13/1/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, dim moment, it's wedge shaped, so it should be simple.. Only problem I have is how long is a standard MK bonnet, any idea? Then I can get the nose in the correct place for an MK bonnet if I chicken out of making it....
indykid

posted on 13/1/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
i don't want to cause any offence snoopy, but if you put the battery panel on first, and use that to gauge where the scuttle goes, it'll end up looking a real dogs dinner.

the battery panel is too long in the horizontal section, such that when it is butted up against the tubes at the top of the footwells, it puts the rear tips of the scuttle well past the apex of the side panels. to get a proper fit, it needs to be brought forward about 3/4", maybe even the full inch so the rear tips of the scuttle sit bang on the apex of the side panels. also, once the side panels are on, the batt tray needs trimming on the sides of the horizontal surface so that it sits within the side panels, allowing the bonnet to sit flush on the side panels. it's not a tiger after all

the order then, imho:

-side panels dry fitted, well taped up
-back panel dry fitted and trimmed to meet side panels
-sit scuttle on so rear edge is inline with the kink in the side panel
-mark the scuttle and side panel for 2/3 rivnuts either side for bolting scuttle on
-battery tray on, butted up to the scuttle, and mark underside for holes to fasten into footwell top tubes
-nose cone on, with bonnet sat ontop loosely to get alignment.

as for hinging it, i used some stainless fire door hinges, because they looked the part, and were stainless, but given the chance to do it again, which i soon will, i'd fasten one half of the hinge to the vertical flange inside the nosecone, and the other to the underside of the front lower tube. currrently, they're fitted between the front face of the lower tube, and to the sloping face of the nosecone, with a s/s reinforcing plate. they're a real pita to set up, and it spaces the nosecone away from the chassis, which makes alignment awkward.

hth
tom Rescued attachment nosecone hinge.jpg
Rescued attachment nosecone hinge.jpg

mike smith1

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice indykid, will bear that in mind mate.

Cheers Mike

mike smith1

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone got any pictures of fitting the back panel and how it meets the side panels, and also the cutting out if the roll bar has back stays, also my roll bar is welded on so does this make any difference? and any tips on fitting it!

Cheers Mike

[Edited on 24/1/06 by mike smith1]

cryoman1965

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I hope yours fit better than mine, or do they all fit this well. Rescued attachment Car 15 11 05 004.jpg
Rescued attachment Car 15 11 05 004.jpg

mike smith1

posted on 24/1/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have only offered it up at the minute and looks like i'm going to have to trim out a lot for the roll bar becuase it is welded in any pics appreciated!

Thanks Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.