Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: holding floor pan on
zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
holding floor pan on

as far as I understand one of the first things I do is fit the floor pan to my MK when I get it, Ive been wondering instead of rivets is there any issues with tex screws???(spelt right?)

used a couple the othe right they go straight through thick metal and are very strong no pre drilling etc etc saving so much time

any ideas anyone

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

indykid

posted on 27/9/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
would it be this sort of thing you mean? (see pic)

if they've got a bigger head than a rivet, you might struggle to get the side panel on. if they are the ones below, they'll look nasty (under the floor i know) and think of all the extra drag caused by the heads

stick with rivets imo unless you're going for a 'quick' build.
tom Rescued attachment screw.jpg
Rescued attachment screw.jpg

zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
hi mate youve got the right bottom half but the top is a very low dome shaped philips head so shouldnt cause any probs
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

clbarclay

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Only disadvantages with them (i presume there the sort with drill on the end and slef taping bolt behind) I can think of off top of my head is they stick out 1/4 inch (not too bad but nots as smooth as rivets) and theres the potential for them to come undone.

zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
thread lock,?

if you use the philips head type they stick out no more than a normal dome head screw

Peteff

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
theres the potential for them to come undone

Pop rivets aren't exactly infallible. If it's Sikaflexed first and left to go off then screwed on it should be pretty secure. There should be enough flex in the sides to clear the heads if they're same as the domed ones I have.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

indykid

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
there is plenty of room for them if they're like pan head self tappers, probably about 6-7mm gap between side panel return and floor, but was just concerned that the hex head ones would foul.

hth
tom

zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
yes thats great info mate could be onto something new

chris

Avoneer

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if there is enough metal in the chassis tubes for them to bite though - 1.6mm???

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
the thread pitch looks quite fine, much finer than a self tapper, so they might hold alright.

time for some destuctive testing methinks
tom

zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
and methinks azwelly

Hellfire

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from saving a bit of time drilling, I don't see the advantage of using these instead of ordinary rivets.

In fact you'd probably spend more time applying threadlock & screwing these in than you would pulling up a rivet, so the time saved would be negligable.

And then theres the weight.......

All in, they must weigh a fair bit heavier than rivets.

Triton

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Rivets everytime along with sikaflex because this all adds to stiffness of the chassis without adding any real weight.

Cheers
Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
there pretty light though?

and drill straight in so no messing!

Hellfire

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
there pretty light though?

and drill straight in so no messing!

For a thread to gain it's maximum force generally - the thread needs to be engaged for at least is nominal diameter. Is that screw 2mm diameter? There is also the potential of overtightening due the thin section it is going into... if you strip the thread in the chassis not only will it weaken it but the fixing will be useless... obviously, it's up to you. I just can't see the advantages...

Everytime I have used that type of fastening the screw wobbles about like a tw4t whilst drilling - but maybe you have been succesful in the past.

zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
ok fair enough

andygtt

posted on 28/9/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also say it is a bad idea.... yes you could thread lock them but my understanding is that the alloy pannel adds to the chassis ridgidity. and securing with 1.6mm of thread just wont be enough IMO.

On my last kit I used 2000 rivits to secure the alloy pannels on along with the sicoflex. Over the years that I owned and abused it I never found one loose rivit.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.