Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Green can be mean!!
Grahame L

posted on 21/8/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Green can be mean!!

Well two years down the road and she's just about done, only the sva to go next month. Looks like another summer missed! Oh well hope for an indian summer or wear lots of warm clothes cos I won't be able to resist
Side 2
Side 2

Rear 1
Rear 1

Interior
Interior

andy d (rizla)

posted on 21/8/05 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
now that is a work of art,one of the best ive seen

a credit to you mate

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 21/8/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a popular exhaust... got it baffled yet for SVA, you'll probably need it.

I little work to the bottom of the dash would be advised too before SVA... like a 19mm radius

Very nice example...

suparuss

posted on 21/8/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
will you get away with the key not being on the steering column? or have you got another way of locking the column cos i thought it had to be lockable?
very nice job though, love the carbon on the tranny tunnel.

cheers,

russ.

phelpsa

posted on 21/8/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
That is beautiful!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Grahame L

posted on 21/8/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the positive comments and concerns regarding the sva stuff, i'm glad both Helfire & Russ noticed !! No honest I am!!!

Yes the exhaust is from Martin Keenan and it is too loud, but going to use the MK cat exhaust for sva so shouldn't be a problem.

The dash has a rolled bottom edge (Fluke carbon blank) although I think it may not be a 19mm radius and will find out at sva, if it fails I will either put padding on or a piece of black plastic waste pipe from B&Q!

The key on the dash is the HISS system which I retained as a anti theft precaution so should pass as an imobiliser as sva states. However, I have retained the steering lock as a secondary measure although am worried that sva man may fail it as the engine can be started and car moved with the steering lock on! If so i'll wire the steering lock ignition up to the hiss system so both keys have to be on before engine will start and car moved! Does that make sense?? Any other less complicated suggestions welcomed!!

Cheers

Grahame

PAUL FISHER

posted on 21/8/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Great looking car Grahame,good look with the sva,be nice to see it down at the MK coffee morning
Peteff

posted on 21/8/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's a definite fail if the steering lock can operate with the engine running, but a steering lock doesn't have to be fitted just 2 separate methods of anti theft device.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

greggors84

posted on 21/8/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice car! Like the choice of colour, a good classic look. First time i have seen an MK in it.

Couple of questions;

How is the bonnet held down? Cant see any fasteners

And how did you recess the Hella lights in the rear arches, i'm using those lights and couldnt mount them flush even though i only have 14" wheels on it. I had to modife the back of them aswell to give enough clearance for the tyres.

Hellfire

posted on 21/8/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Us too

Avoneer

posted on 21/8/05 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Gearknob - fill the indents where the bolts are with silicone/bluetack - I now of several cars where this has been a fail point.

Apart from that - nice looking motor.

Where did you get all the interior carbon panelling from?

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

DarrenW

posted on 22/8/05 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Does the steering wheel need padding? What is that square block on top of the tunnel in fornt of gear lever? Does it need padding / radiussing?

Ref steering lock - this can be removed as long as a seperate anti theft device is fitted. Im fitting a toad cat2 system with a transponder key to immobilise 2 circuits. Other fixes have been a battery cut off switch under the bonnet or a ignition low tension side toggle switch on the passenger side of the car (both cannot be reached from drivers normal driving position). AFAIK you dont need 2 different devices as someone has wrote.

Someone questioned if the key has to be part of the column - no it doesnt but if fitted elsewhere must be inside exempt area or correctly radiussed etc.

Very nice car. I like the switches mounted on the tunnel. Carbon tunnel cover is very cool. As already asked - how is the bonnet held down?

I like the rear fog and am planning to do the same after SVA. The reason i havent done it before is that to the letter of the law you cannot centrally mount it. The book states something gobbledygook along the lines of the edge of the light unit must be on the centre line or to the offside, the edge in this case being defined as the LH edge of the light unit. Some people have passed with it centrally mounted so dont panick and give it a try.

greggors84

posted on 22/8/05 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
You could always turn it into another brake light for the test and have a temporary mounted one to the side for the test.

Save you leaving a great gaping hole there!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Grahame L

posted on 22/8/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Greggors, Hellfire & Darren W

The bonnet is not held down at the mo! Originally wanted to hinge on nearside and use a gas shock and solenoid to operate but was too much strain on the GRP so will put the rubber hinges on for sva (where did u get yours from?) and then maybe add the aerocatch after, just depends.

The hella lights were mounted flush by me cutting the plastic bayonet fitting back to reveal the contacts then bending them at right angles to the tyre, this gives a clearance of about 10-15mm. The contacts were then fully waterproofed with sikaflex. My wheels are 16" and tyre profile 45.

The rear fog can be positioned on the centre line or to the offside as detailed in the SVA manual, unless this reg has been revised since I purchased mine last year! Does anyone else’s state that or have I misinterpreted it?

Avoneer

The gear knob is not fitted with bolts, the indents are buttons to operate the indicators, horn and full beam, this way I could do away with the stalks to allow post sva paddle shift gear change and because I thought it would be novel. Think the indents are within the radius regs.

Carbon panelling is carbon laminated on grp supplied by MK as a one off but I’m sure they’ll do it for anyone as long as your wallet is fat as they’re not cheap but were perfectly sized to fit the MK and I think are just the job.

Charlie

The ignition on my dash is the HISS system that as you know reads the chip in the key and ecu will not allow the ignition process to begin or fuel pump to operate without recognition so that must count as one and the steering lock as two so I shouldn’t need another. Should I?

Cheers

Grahame

greggors84

posted on 22/8/05 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Got my bonnet catches from Car Builder Solutions at a show. Can't remember exactly how much they were but not cheap. I think maplins do them as well in two sizes but similar price for the large ones from CBS.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

DarrenW

posted on 23/8/05 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
be careful with the sva description of fog mounting position. Some people have got away with centrally mounted so you might be ok. If you read the manual again (havent got mine to hand unfortunately) you are absolutely right that it says on the centre line or to the offside but it also makes reference to another area of the manual that defines the edges of the reflective surface. The bit that catches most people out is how they define the edge of the light unit - it actually states that the LH side / edge of the reflective surface can be on centre line or to offside. This actualy means that when fitted the light should be biassed to the offside.

This all sounds negative, apologies its not meant to be. Im only pointing it out as i know id be mightliy peeved if this was the only thing i failed on after taking the chance. You will defend yourself as you have probably cut bodywork to fit it in. You can still put a naff cheap square one from a bracket off bottom of chassis for SVA and blank the other one off / convert to brake light. I really like your central light and TBH will be doing the same after SVA.

I really like your car and it has some nice touches. You have obviously given it a lot of thought and research. Well done - on presentation alone it deserves a first time pass.

scutter

posted on 23/8/05 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Very tidy motor, The examiner didn't like my Knob Pictured below, he said i couldn't even fill in the dimples with silicone, and the front edge of the rearview mirror will need a cover as well as the bolts.

[img][/img]

Grahame L

posted on 23/8/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments Darren, I don't take anything said as negative, infact I see it as constructive as I am always doubting my thoughts/ decisions etc.

However, just been looking over manual again and I think I know what you are driving at. There is a 'Procedure and Standards' Note, Note 2 states-
"Rear Fog Seperation distance must be measured between the Illuminating Surface of each lamp. Illuminating surface should be taken to be the area of the reflector to the rear of the bulbs.

I have interpreted this to apply to say if you locate the fog within 100mm of the stop light which would be a fail and as the 100mm is so small they have to make it clear that the measurement should be taken from the replector edge as if taken from the middle you may still fail. I can't find anything else to state edge of Ill surface on centre line but I may be blind so please give me a section reference to ease my mind. If I can't and fail at sva i will argue my point to sva man and/ or ask for ammendment in manual for future. Then he'll probably fail the car for everything!! Just my luck!!

Grahame

Grahame L

posted on 23/8/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Scutter, What was the examiners gripe with that knob?? Did he fail the car on that? If so I think the whole sva thing has gone mad, how can that be more dangerous than any other gear knob?

Grahame

scutter

posted on 23/8/05 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
The point was, if you had an impact whilst changing gear then the forces would be transmitted through the palm of your hand, any depressions would then cut you, even he admitted that most aftermarket item would fail sva

ATB Dan.

DarrenW

posted on 23/8/05 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grahame L
Thanks for the comments Darren, I don't take anything said as negative, infact I see it as constructive as I am always doubting my thoughts/ decisions etc.

However, just been looking over manual again and I think I know what you are driving at. There is a 'Procedure and Standards' Note, Note 2 states-
"Rear Fog Seperation distance must be measured between the Illuminating Surface of each lamp. Illuminating surface should be taken to be the area of the reflector to the rear of the bulbs.

I have interpreted this to apply to say if you locate the fog within 100mm of the stop light which would be a fail and as the 100mm is so small they have to make it clear that the measurement should be taken from the replector edge as if taken from the middle you may still fail. I can't find anything else to state edge of Ill surface on centre line but I may be blind so please give me a section reference to ease my mind. If I can't and fail at sva i will argue my point to sva man and/ or ask for ammendment in manual for future. Then he'll probably fail the car for everything!! Just my luck!!

Grahame

Cheers Grahame, Im so impressed with your car that im sure the SVA man will be suitably impressed. They say presentation is the first hurdle - well youve nailed that one for sure. Ive got my fingers crossed. As you say you have some good discussion points ref the fog, i wonder if i have been too cautious???? Even if you pass im sure my local station (Gosforth) would see it defferently. They are great up hear but have there own interpretations - must be the Brown Ale (or should i say Nukie Broon!!!!)

Best of luck. When we can only comment on such trivial matters the car must be right.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.