Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which alternator?
john_p_b

posted on 3/10/04 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
which alternator?

finaly gave up trying to make my standard sierra alternator fit today and it seems a bit pointless having such a huge alternator to just run a few lights!

so which one's best to go for? model/year of vehicle would be good or a part number would be excellent! or even all of the above!!

getting the buzz to be getting on with things again now i know i'll be back at work off the sick in a week or so and thus have some much needed money back to spend!

cheers
john

James

posted on 3/10/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Been asked (and answered) loads before.

IMHO Bedford Rascal (or the Japanese equivalent) are good. Really small and have a Pinto profile 'V' belt. Loads about (3 in my fav' scrappy) and cheap- £20 ish.

There are a couple of models of alt' so look for the alloy casing one.

If you have the bracket from the Rascal too then you can easily cut off the U shape bit that it bolts to and weld this to a new plate that fits your Pinto engine mounts. 30 min job!

Hope that helps,

James

john_p_b

posted on 3/10/04 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
repetitive question!

sorry i figured it had been asked plenty before but i lose the will to live after searching things for a few minutes!

scrap yard here i come

thanks.

mad-butcher

posted on 4/10/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
dihatsu charade or suzuki vitara wee easy to wire up but needs a 12v feed to exite the alternator see siert's website for details
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 11/10/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
so has anyone used a rascal alternator and managed to find a feed for an electric choke? I've got a rascal alt which charges the battery, but i can't seem to get anything from the other terminals. on the sierra there was a post with a nut which fed it but the rascal one aint got that. what can i use? Rescued attachment 2004_0627Image0023.JPG
Rescued attachment 2004_0627Image0023.JPG

john_p_b

posted on 12/10/04 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
feed for auto choke

can't you just run a feed from ignition so as soon as u start up it gets a feed?
theconrodkid

posted on 12/10/04 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
auto choke feed on them is about 3 or 4 volts i think

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jonte

posted on 12/10/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used the alternator from an Daihatsu Charade. Rescued attachment generator.jpg
Rescued attachment generator.jpg

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.