Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy R anti roll blade
PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/3/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Indy R anti roll blade

Looks interesting, soon to be available for your Indy R and Indy RR, blade type anti roll bar kit, Currently in Development, will be in car adjustable via a cable.
[img] blade antiroll
blade antiroll
[/img]
[img] Incar adjustable antiroll blade
Incar adjustable antiroll blade
[/img]

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

nick205

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
How does that work then?

I could see it working if the "blade" was rotated 90 deg so it flexed, but can't visualise how it works as shown.

Enlighten me someone

afj

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
looking at the back of the blade side there is a couple of notches so i guess it does rotate

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

danny keenan

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
it does rotate its going to be on a cable so you can adjust it while you are in the car driving.
Chippy

posted on 2/3/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
What I dont understand is why one side is a piece of tube and the other a machined piece of solid. The whole idea of an anti roll bar is to join both side suspension together to reduce body roll, and I just cant see how you can adjust that with a cable, or am I just being thick? Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

nick205

posted on 2/3/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
What I dont understand is why one side is a piece of tube and the other a machined piece of solid. The whole idea of an anti roll bar is to join both side suspension together to reduce body roll, and I just cant see how you can adjust that with a cable, or am I just being thick? Cheers Ray

No thicker than me Ray - still can't figure it out myself either. Might be clearer if we saw the complete front end assembly?

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/3/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
To answer the above as I understand it..

There are two ways of designing an ARB.

In one design the arms are rigid and the bar itself twists. I would say this is the conventional approach.
In the other design (as here) the bar is rigid and one or both of the arms flex.

In this case the blade arm can be rotated, and so cam be made less stiff (the photo shows it in its most stiff setting).

I guess you could have a system where the bar twists and the blades move too which would be an elegant solution.

[Edited on 2/3/12 by matt_gsxr]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/3/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy

No your not being thick Ray, I don't think the pictures of a half finished job are helping you, but I just thought fellow locosters would be interested in the idea, so I just took a few pictures, Ive not seen anything like it on a seven before, but its not a new concept, its used on touring cars and other race cars, as I said its in development so it may well end up with two blades, but it works simply as the the spring steel blade rotates from its upright position it becomes softer, simples

SCAR

posted on 3/3/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Some rgb racing cars use the same principle
As stated previously the photo only shows work in progress.
The principle is that the tube connects the suspension from each side as per a normal ARB however the tube is free to rotate. The blade is the welded at 90 degrees to the tube and the outer end fixed to the chassis by an adjustable joint. So if the ARB is to rotate the blade has to bend. Bending the blade against its flat width is easy, bending against its thickness is hard therefore by rotating the blade relative to the ARB tube you have adjustable stiffness ARB, Its simple when you look at the finnished item but quite difficult to explain. Of course the blade has to be able to rotate relative to the ARB tube so a swivel joint is needed at its base
Rotation of the blade can be achieved via a cable in the cockpit.
Get clever (or spend more money) and you can actuate the rotation of the blade by an electric stepper motor from a button
It does work although adjustment can be difficult while the ARB is under load as the swivel joint in the blade may bind under load.
The reason for one blade and one solid tube is because the efectiveness/stiffness of the ARB is dependant on one side of the suspensions resistance to movement relative to its link to the opposite side.

Steve P

[Edited on 3/3/12 by SCAR]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.