Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What do lesser engined Indys go like?
gazzarose

posted on 1/10/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I know what your sayng about 'need' and 'want'. I want something thats fun to drive that can scare more exotic cars. A BEC is probably out, mainly because I wouldn't mind commuting in the car in the summers, but Ive got a 50 mile motorway round trip everyday, and Id probably get bored of a bike engine revving away. One of my other concerns s reliability and starting everytime I get it out. Can a zetec from say an early Mondeo, be fitted alongwith its injection system? If so then maybe that will be the way ahead.Would it be realistic in saying that I could get sub 6ish secs using a 2.0 zetec from a mondeo?

And by lesser engines I meant lower power, if I'd meant lower moraly and ethically then yeah that would have been BEC,lol.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'l haveto start doing some sums and working out budgets for both short term (ie sourcing doners and parts) and long term to buy the kit.

Gazza

iank

posted on 1/10/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Building next year (or starting now realistically) means IVA where you will need a reverse gear. BEC's are going to get a lot more complicated and rather heavier - assuming the mechanism doesn't fall off after the test. Worth bearing in mind.

A 1.6 pinto managed to pull a 2 tonne car with 4 passengers up to the legal speed limit. While not as mad as a BEC it's going to be roughly equivalent to a 120bhp hatch or a 150bhp saloon. Not too shoddy and the first upgrade will be cheap (2litre pinto)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

gazzarose

posted on 2/10/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think a plan is starting to come together. I think Il try and get hold of a suitable sierra doner with any old engine, and decide about the zetec at a later date.

Thanks for all the replies.

Gazza

Avoneer

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 2ltr Pinto Avon and then Bitsablade.

The BEC was so much more reliable and fun to drive, even on the motorway.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Note that if you get the 1.8 CVH (not every one would agree with this choice) the zetec is very similar, i.e one engine mount is the same, the down pipe is on the same side and can be made to fit a zetec (or Zetec one fit the CVH) , as can the sump. The cluch is also the one you want (I think)..

I am biased as this is what I am doing!!

Dan

[Edited on 3/10/08 by Bluemoon]

lotusmadandy

posted on 3/10/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I built my indy with a 1.6 pinto.
It goes great but on the track cannot keep up with the zetecs.
i am now planning a swap to a 1.8 zetec
with zx9 carbs. I wish i had done it it the first place as i have cut holes in the body for the exhaust.

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.