Board logo

What do lesser engined Indys go like?
gazzarose - 30/9/08 at 05:45 PM

Hi guys,

Im hoping to build an Indy in the next year or so, and while Im saving to buy the kit, Ive been looking for a Sierra to start stripping and clean the bits ready. I was aiming for a 2.0 pinto (from advise elsewhere on here) but they dont seem to be an abundance of them around. Is the 2.0 DOHC really that bad, cos theres quite a few of them around. Long term (as in a few years maybe) I was planning on fitting a Zetec or duratec, so was planning to use a 2.0 pinto for a bit of pace from an engine that could be easily tuned, and have been steered away from DOHC due to lack of tuning options. Thing is, cos Ive never been in a 7, I don't know how much power I need. I know Locosts are supposed to be about the handling not the speed, but I dont want to be embarassed by hot hatches. Anyone got a 1.6 or 1.8 engined car? Whats it like. There does seem to be more 1.6 and 1.8s around. My daily driver is a Lexus IS200, which is reasonable, but no rocket ship, and id be a bit depressed if my fun car was slower.lol. Sorry for all the questions. Its just Im young and have grown up reading magazines that quote ever growing power figures, with even Corsas touching 200bhp, its easy to lose touch with reality and how much power you really need.

Thanks in advance.

Gazza

sebastiaan - 30/9/08 at 05:51 PM

My indy was once 1.6 pinto engined. Had about as much "go" as a 205 GTI.

Avoneer - 30/9/08 at 05:58 PM

Indykid has a 1.6 pinto for insurance purposes.

0.4 short of a real engine, but it certainley isn't slow.

Pat...

theconrodkid - 30/9/08 at 06:10 PM

zetec is miles better than a boat anchor of a pinto and dont let the BEC boys lure you to the dark side

indykid - 30/9/08 at 06:12 PM

i was going to say that

i'm just about to the point where i really need a bigger engine to keep it exhilarating but the last 3 years have been most enjoyable as long as you have plenty of twisty country lanes by you. on any stretches of open road, anything over 70 is a bit lack lustre with the 3.64 diff. a 3.92 would make it pull better top end but i like the gearing bottom end and it's rarely used for such things. i would like to go a bit further afield now though, hence my wish of more power.

long and short of it, if you build a 7 with very little power, you'll get just as much fun out of driving it because making it go fast comes from driving ability and building on it. you'll still embarrass far pricier cars on a trackday.

if you're not bound by insurance quotes as i was when i was 18 though, just stick a zetec in.....you don't have to have a 2litre
tom

David Jenkins - 30/9/08 at 06:32 PM

I have a 1660cc x-flow that puts out around 100BHP (prob a little less). I can usually manage 0 - 60 in around 6-and-a-bit seconds.

Fast enough for the sort of driving I do!

And Tom is right - driving these cars isn't about straight-line acceleration. A responsive engine and good cornering ability is where all the fun is.

[Edited on 30/9/08 by David Jenkins]

Wadders - 30/9/08 at 06:38 PM

Gazza

Even with a 1.6 engine in a se7en
It's easy to make passengers (Delete as appropriate from the following list)

Go pale,
Suddenly very quiet,
Grip their crotch very tightly,
Scream,
Stamp on an imaginary brake peddle (as if that's going to slow you down )

My first se7en experience was as a passenger in a 1.6 Xflow westie, and i did some of the above (not telling which)

Al.

Danozeman - 30/9/08 at 06:44 PM

Sorry iv forgotten what this thread is about. Wadders avatar is excellent

Seriously. The cars are so light any engine will go well. Rustynuts took me out in his 1.6 and it certainly went well. 100 bhp it think he said it was. Im sure hel be along soon to confirm.

A 2 litre would give u a little more grunt.

The zetecs go well and rev hard. The engine are relativley cheap aswell. U just need the fuel and ign where as a pinto will already have dizzy and carb.

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 30/9/08 at 06:45 PM

yadda,yadda BEC all the way,cheap engines(i only paid£280) for a 1995 893cc blade lump with 18000 miles and service history,disposable at that price,0-60 4 odd seconds,i'd have one of these over a CEC pictured below any day Rescued attachment scooter.jpg
Rescued attachment scooter.jpg

zetec - 30/9/08 at 06:58 PM

I would say dont bother thinking about fitting a Pinto with a view to changing to a zetec in the future as you will need to spend out on a new exhaust, cooling pipes and side panel, and all the other little bits and pieces...You might as well save the time and hassle and fit the zetec straight away. Also the chances of finding a Pinto which requires no reconditioning are getting less and less as they havent been fitted to mainstream cars for getting on for 20 years, but plenty of zetecs about which can just be fitted with very little mechanical work.

Mole - 30/9/08 at 07:03 PM

You could always work at keeping the weight down to make it faster.

roadrunner - 30/9/08 at 07:27 PM

I would go for the 1.8 or 2.0 ltr zetecs if you want a cec, i only have a 900cc engine in mine and it really really goes.

graememk - 30/9/08 at 08:15 PM

i'm different

i have a 1.8 turbo lump from a nissan.....

coozer - 30/9/08 at 08:16 PM

Get any Sierra you can and a 2L zetec and swap the engines over, then you'll have a decent start without the need to replumb and such later on.

Don't forgot Pinto and Zetec's have exhausts and inlets on opposite sides so worth starting with a zetec straight away as I did.

I did it all before even deciding on the kit and even change the Sierra log book for the zetec engine number!

coozer - 30/9/08 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IDONTBELEIVEIT
yadda,yadda BEC all the way,cheap engines(i only paid£280) for a 1995 893cc blade lump with 18000 miles and service history,disposable at that price,0-60 4 odd seconds,i'd have one of these over a CEC pictured below any day

And just to say Zetec's are dirt cheap, I've had two spares since my build, one for 99p and one for £10, both off the bay.

Don't be tempted by a cheap hairdryer engine with no reverse, clunky gearshifts and soft gearboxes and clutches...

mediabloke - 30/9/08 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazzarose
Anyone got a 1.6 or 1.8 engined car? Whats it like

The only BEC I've heard a bit is Simon's (Gingerprince) - a 'blade engined Indy, which I quite like. My 1.6 Ecotec doesn't come close top end ( Wadders' avatar has cornered the market there... ), but there's plenty of grunt to scare my passengers (except my kids, who love it lol). I've not timed it (yet), but it's easily feels quicker than the Fiesta ST I had, which was around 6-7 secs 0-60.

The 1.6 Ecotec is also 16v but slightly lower compression than the earlier 1.6 xe, although it's easier to come by and is alleged to have a better bottom end than the 1.6 xe.

gazzarose - 30/9/08 at 09:07 PM

Bloody hell guys, quite a few replies.

My main reason for wanting to start with a pinto then change to a zetec was the cost, but if they're that cheap now then maybe thats a better idea. So if I done a zetec is there any extra things Id need? Ie things that cost money? Would it all be easy paper work wise? could I still get an age related plate?

Thanks for all the replies

Gazza

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 30/9/08 at 09:08 PM

quote:

Don't be tempted by a cheap hairdryer engine with no reverse, clunky gearshifts and soft gearboxes and clutches

uprated clutch(plates,springs) pennies,reverse box came with westfield kit i brought(not pennies)big weight saving here though Power:Weight Ratio

quote:

I've had two spares since my build

obviously strong engines then

David Jenkins - 30/9/08 at 09:25 PM

I should have said that if I was starting now, or if my x-flow broke (heaven forbid) I would probably fit a Zetec - I wouldn't consider restoring a x-flow or pinto.

DaveFJ - 1/10/08 at 07:43 AM

I started out thinking I would fit the pinto with a view to fitting a Cosworth engine later on.....

I only piad £40 for a really good condition Sierra with a 2.0 pinto injection, withg a full service history! Unfortunately those nasty little voices in my head made me start doing things to the Pinto and I reckon it has cost me >£2000
And... it hasn't got enough power for me
although that may just be becuase it needs a good RR setup.....

So I would deffinately say go Zetec.....
It will work out cheaper!

whitestu - 1/10/08 at 07:47 AM

I fitted the 1.8 CVH that came with my donor, and the Indy went pretty well.

I've now changed to a 1.8 Zetec which is better, but not massively so.

Next job is a 2.0 Zetec!

If you can do without reverse I'd go for a bike engine.

Stu

speedyxjs - 1/10/08 at 07:49 AM

Lesser engines? Oh you mean bike engines
Sorry, couldnt resist. Il shut up now

Hellfire - 1/10/08 at 11:56 AM

Gazza, first things first. You say you've never been in a seven, so don't know how much power you need. Given that the wet weight of most Indy's is likely to be between 450kg - 600kg, you actually don't need much power at all. However ................... power that you need and power that you want are two totally different things and shouldn't be confused.

Try and get a passenger ride in both a CEC and then a BEC. The first will have all the power you need but the BEC will have the power you want

Whereabouts do you live? If you're relatively close by, I'm sure we can sort out the passenger ride in a BEC

Phil

[Edited on 1-10-08 by Hellfire]

RK - 1/10/08 at 02:59 PM

Oh no, here we go...

eccsmk - 1/10/08 at 03:26 PM

i have to say that i went out for a spin in the hellfire car ..............................................

and mine now has a zx12 engine in it too

gazzarose - 1/10/08 at 04:27 PM

I know what your sayng about 'need' and 'want'. I want something thats fun to drive that can scare more exotic cars. A BEC is probably out, mainly because I wouldn't mind commuting in the car in the summers, but Ive got a 50 mile motorway round trip everyday, and Id probably get bored of a bike engine revving away. One of my other concerns s reliability and starting everytime I get it out. Can a zetec from say an early Mondeo, be fitted alongwith its injection system? If so then maybe that will be the way ahead.Would it be realistic in saying that I could get sub 6ish secs using a 2.0 zetec from a mondeo?

And by lesser engines I meant lower power, if I'd meant lower moraly and ethically then yeah that would have been BEC,lol.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'l haveto start doing some sums and working out budgets for both short term (ie sourcing doners and parts) and long term to buy the kit.

Gazza

iank - 1/10/08 at 05:43 PM

Building next year (or starting now realistically) means IVA where you will need a reverse gear. BEC's are going to get a lot more complicated and rather heavier - assuming the mechanism doesn't fall off after the test. Worth bearing in mind.

A 1.6 pinto managed to pull a 2 tonne car with 4 passengers up to the legal speed limit. While not as mad as a BEC it's going to be roughly equivalent to a 120bhp hatch or a 150bhp saloon. Not too shoddy and the first upgrade will be cheap (2litre pinto)

gazzarose - 2/10/08 at 05:04 PM

I think a plan is starting to come together. I think Il try and get hold of a suitable sierra doner with any old engine, and decide about the zetec at a later date.

Thanks for all the replies.

Gazza

Avoneer - 3/10/08 at 07:13 AM

I had a 2ltr Pinto Avon and then Bitsablade.

The BEC was so much more reliable and fun to drive, even on the motorway.

Pat...

Bluemoon - 3/10/08 at 07:43 AM

Note that if you get the 1.8 CVH (not every one would agree with this choice) the zetec is very similar, i.e one engine mount is the same, the down pipe is on the same side and can be made to fit a zetec (or Zetec one fit the CVH) , as can the sump. The cluch is also the one you want (I think)..

I am biased as this is what I am doing!!

Dan

[Edited on 3/10/08 by Bluemoon]

lotusmadandy - 3/10/08 at 09:38 PM

I built my indy with a 1.6 pinto.
It goes great but on the track cannot keep up with the zetecs.
i am now planning a swap to a 1.8 zetec
with zx9 carbs. I wish i had done it it the first place as i have cut holes in the body for the exhaust.

Andy