Board logo

INDY GEAR CHANGE RODS
matt.c - 11/4/08 at 08:02 PM

Hi locosters, Im having a bit of trouble at the moment with the sloppyness of my gear changing rods. I have the rod ends as close to the pivots but there is still to much movement for me.
I like the feel of the gearknob being very solid ie less movement for gear changing.
What about moving the rod from the bottom of the gear stick to the middle or as high as i can get to the gear knob. Will this minimalise the movement?

Gear
Gear

jacko - 11/4/08 at 08:08 PM

Road runner has some photos in his archives how he made his it may help you
Jacko

dan__wright - 11/4/08 at 08:08 PM

no that would make it further, move it further from the pivot, or change it the gaerbox engine put it closer to the selector.

mackei23b - 11/4/08 at 08:16 PM

Hi Matt

Here are your options for less movement at the gear lever:

Option 1 lengthen point A from pivot
Option 2 shorten point B from pivot
Option 3 lengthen point C from pivot
Option 4 shorten point D towards pivot

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 11/4/08 by mackei23b]

[Edited on 11/4/08 by mackei23b] Rescued attachment Gear Link.JPG
Rescued attachment Gear Link.JPG

matt.c - 11/4/08 at 08:33 PM

Have made all the rods as close as possible to there pivots. If thats the case then would pic 2 have less movement at the gearknob than pic 1?
I could make the link fit higher on the gearknob.

[Edited on 11/4/08 by matt.c]

mackei23b - 11/4/08 at 09:04 PM

Yes it would.

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Have made all the rods as close as possible to there pivots. If thats the case then would pic 2 have less movement at the gearknob than pic 1?

gingerprince - 13/4/08 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c

If all your joints are as close to the pivots as possible, then the easiest way is probably to drill point C in mackei's diagram further out - that'll increase throw to the engine compared to throw in your hand achieving what you want. I wouldn't bother re-engineering the whole thing like you were suggesting.