Board logo

Home Made Pinto Exhaust Manifold - again !
swood - 31/12/06 at 03:11 PM

I tried to post this 4th Dec but failed with the pictures, I have had time to follow the instructions James kindly posted so here goes.
As previously mentioned the Manifold was made the hard way by bending 1.5" x 14g tube on a hydraulic pipe bender.
I made up a jig to duplicate the position of the head and front side rail of my MK chassis because this method needs a straight length tube before the bend.
The exhaust port positions on the jig were clearance on 1.5"so I could pass the pipe through & so get the bends right before cutting them to length.
Manifold was tacked up and tried on the car before final welding by a work mate - I am no welder !!!
Tubes were packed with sand to prevent them collapsing, Rortys site was very handy, but it still took several attempts to perfect the packing techniqe & then to get the bends correct.
The lengths are not the same and there are several uniformed kinks around the bends but its still better than the cast iron original - is'nt it ?.
With hindsight it would have been easier to fabricate it from bends, this method was very time consuming and difficult to achieve the end result, but I had the hydraulic bender and purchased the tube so had to persevere!
Also finished the brake lines over the holiday, fuel tank is next - hurrah !
Exhaust Manifold in Jig
Exhaust Manifold in Jig

Description
Description

[img][/img]

Rudy - 31/12/06 at 05:07 PM

Weel done.
Can you post a pict of your bender?
How did you pack with sand?

swood - 1/1/07 at 08:42 PM

Hi Rudy,
I have sent you a U2U

roadrunner - 1/1/07 at 09:02 PM

Are all your manifold pipes the same length , mine all differed , and it killed top end performance, good job all the same.

macnab - 1/1/07 at 09:14 PM

I like it but watch for sharp corners on the box where there coming together.

Does anyone know of a diy weld together kit for the 2.8 v6, had a look on the net and drew a blank...

Catpuss - 11/1/07 at 06:41 PM

Thats a nice piece of work.

With that nice engine colour do you actually need lighting to pass the SVA?