Board logo

mk indy pinto, chassis and alternater
roadrunner - 23/10/06 at 09:00 PM

Has any one had this problem with the alternater bashing the chassis when turning left, if so , how did you solve this problem. Answers on a post card please.

dave-69isit - 23/10/06 at 09:03 PM

is your engine bolted in does the belt squiel

MkIndy7 - 23/10/06 at 09:20 PM

First step would be a shorter belt if there's any give left in the alternator adjustment.

Failing that you'll have to make a new bracket to hold it closer to the engine.

Also check the engine mounting bolts haven't worn loose.

dave-69isit - 23/10/06 at 09:26 PM

you say it only haperns when you turn left wich engine rubbers you useing are thay to soft

dave-69isit - 23/10/06 at 09:29 PM

how close is it when ticking over is ther space between chassie and alternater

roadrunner - 23/10/06 at 09:49 PM

The rubbers are fine ,the bolts are tight ,and i cant get a shorter belt on. Clearence between fan and chassis is 10mm .I might have to rigg a stop for the alternater to rest on when turnning hard left.

indykid - 23/10/06 at 09:51 PM

chances are it's only the fan that catches, so your easiest fix would be to get a daihatsu charade alternator with internal fan.

other fixes are custom brackets for a normal sierra one, or if you have a duplex pulley, run a single belt and offset the alternator back a belt's width.

you're pretty much going to need to weld though. if you don't have the kit, mac #1 should be able to do you a bracket.

hth
tom

mookaloid - 23/10/06 at 10:47 PM

Errrr I took my fan off

It doesn't catch any more and it hasn't blown up yet

There seems to be plenty of airflow into the alt from the front so its not going to to get too hot whre it is (hopefully)

Cheers

Mark

nick205 - 24/10/06 at 07:27 AM

I've used a little Denso alternator with internal fan on a custom bracket - got about 30mm clearance. However, as Mookaloid says, removing the fan from the standard Sierra alternator doesn't seem to do it any harm - that'd be my first move in your case.

matt_claydon - 24/10/06 at 05:38 PM

I've been running mine without a fan for 3 years and no problem. One day will get round to fitting smaller alt though as I have no room for adjustment on this one

roadrunner - 24/10/06 at 08:04 PM

Right , i will remove the fan then, but i will blame you lot if it goes bang.

jacko - 27/10/06 at 06:24 PM

Brad you have U2U
Graham

chargenut - 7/2/11 at 12:58 AM

Great post...

I'm having exactly the same issue with an Indy I have just brought... Was wondering if anyone else had the same thing... I'll aim to remove the Fan and see how we get on from there.

Cheers for the post and the info!!!
Terry.

jacko - 7/2/11 at 10:01 PM

This is how i stopped my engine rocking and the alternator hitting the chassis

[Edited on 7/2/11 by jacko]

chargenut - 8/2/11 at 10:25 PM

Hmmm interesting engine mount that... we have ones that are just the diagonal without the bracing...

Where did you get those engine mounts? or are they home built?

Cheers for the reply... really want to get this issue sorted.

Terry.

jacko - 9/2/11 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chargenut
Hmmm interesting engine mount that... we have ones that are just the diagonal without the bracing...

Where did you get those engine mounts? or are they home built?

Cheers for the reply... really want to get this issue sorted.

Terry.

The main engine mounts are MK made, i made the other bits
Its a exhaust bobbin of a truck / bus and a tube with 10mm nuts welded on the end's to screw on the bobbin and rose joint

Angel Acevedo - 13/2/11 at 02:49 PM

Instead of removing the whole fan, could you not make a jig and cut a few mm of the tip, that way you´re better off than with no fan at all.
Another option would be to have a Restraint or strut to the upper rail.
HTH

gingeh721 - 28/2/11 at 07:21 PM

I trimmed my fan blades down and used a shorter belt which was a pain to get on and solved the problem, just! As others have said, the alternator gets plenty of cooling and is never under real load as it would in a sierra with heater, demister and lights etc.... well i suppose you could drive an MK in the dark with lights on but driving them in the day with a frisky back end is enough for me.

Long term, a smaller alternator like the datsun charade or equivelent, or even a diy smaller bracket are all good options.

Goodluck.

Adrian

wilkingj - 1/3/11 at 11:20 PM

This is what I did on my V8 Viento, one head steady each side.
I also re-inforced the chassis with a couple of plates around the hole area.
Its a Anti Roll Bar link that I cut and re-spaced with a bit of tube in the middle to make it long enough.
Cheap fix and works well.

Head Steady 1
Head Steady 1