Board logo

MK Indy Repairs
gingerprince - 20/11/05 at 05:08 PM

Well, I've had my Indy for about 2 weeks, done about 50 miles and this afternoon someone in a Boxster rear-ends me So, even though I bought a ready built car it looks like I'm going to have to learn how to "rebuild" now!

Looks like I need a rear panel (100 quid according to MK site) and possibly a petrol tank (it's bent, but I don't know if it'll straighten without weakening or whether it needs replacing). Chassis looks untouched (contact was halfway up the rear which is why the petrol tank took the impact. Anyone know what the tank will cost if it's required, not listed on their site.

So bearing in mind I didn't build it and don't have any tools (rivet gun etc) is this going to be a big job for me? I'm guessing from a quick look I'll need to unbolt the rear wings, drill the rivets out and remove the panel. See if tank is usable, buy rivet gun and rivets, fit rear panel. Buy new light for rear plate and fit.

Any tips? The guy is going to pay for the stuff when I can get invoices etc, but i'd ideally like to know if I'll need anything else expensive (tools etc) to do the job so this thing doesn't drag on.

Ho hum.

Sy

MikeR - 20/11/05 at 05:21 PM

why not just get MK to repair it ?

one invoice for the bloke to worry about and less hassle for you!

rayward - 20/11/05 at 05:28 PM

Bad Luck, Gutted for you.

I would a agree, let someone who knows the score repair it for you, i would imagine the worst bit would bit would be getting the PU adhesive off the chassis rails, apparently its a nightmare

Ray

[Edited on 20/11/05 by rayward]

MkIndy7 - 20/11/05 at 05:41 PM

If you can get a knife between PU and whatever its holding it can be seperated pretty easily,
its just getting it off either side thats the problem!

Not sure if it would work but i've seen a Double Glazing fitter with some "remover" might have just been for silicone but it might work.

gingerprince - 20/11/05 at 05:41 PM

Wasn't aware they would do that, these being home-built kit cars and all. If they do that'd be so much easier, I'll give them a tinkle in the morning.

Now, where did I put that bottle of whiskey?

Avoneer - 20/11/05 at 06:13 PM

MK Engineering will whip you up a new tank if necessary.

Pat...

daz - 20/11/05 at 08:28 PM

having a polite word with MK deffinately seems the best option, after all the cost isnt a problem attall due to the idiot in the porsche well.. just being an idiot. plus you'll know the repairs will be top quality

*cough* claim whiplash. ahem if the petrol tank could be hit that easily then id consider some sort of extra protection shielding the tank form another direct hit

Guinness - 20/11/05 at 09:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're OK. One of the first modifications I did once I passed the SVA was to fit a high level rear brake light.

My wife had followed me up to the SVA in the tin top and commented that she could't see the rear lights when we were in traffic.
Back End
Back End

Mike

P.S. Check out my new website (please).

Danozeman - 20/11/05 at 09:51 PM

Id get MK do do the work. Im sure they will. Seems the all round easier option unless you really want to have a bash yourself. Get them to add some nice trick bits to the bill while theyr at it. Especially as he is a posh driver.

zxrlocost - 21/11/05 at 09:42 AM

yeah really wee him off

JoelP - 21/11/05 at 12:54 PM

before sending it to mk, make absolutely sure that he IS insured and will definately pay up no trouble. If it isnt insurance work, mk will undoubtedly send YOU the invoice not the porky fella, after all, theres no guarantee he will pay.

If i was in your situation, i would've called police and ambulance at the scene, had witness statments and insist that it goes through the insurance companies. You are doing him a favour if you accept a cash settlement, his no claims is worth a fortune to him, but you are taking all the risk of ending up out of pocket.

A was told in a recent thread, what if he denys all knowledge now you have left the scene?

Once bitten twice shy, ive been rearended by a tosspot who promised cash and turned out to be an uninsured jobless migrant. The police werent interested. £500 down.

gingerprince - 21/11/05 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
before sending it to mk, make absolutely sure that he IS insured and will definately pay up no trouble. If it isnt insurance work, mk will undoubtedly send YOU the invoice not the porky fella, after all, theres no guarantee he will pay.

If i was in your situation, i would've called police and ambulance at the scene, had witness statments and insist that it goes through the insurance companies. You are doing him a favour if you accept a cash settlement, his no claims is worth a fortune to him, but you are taking all the risk of ending up out of pocket.

A was told in a recent thread, what if he denys all knowledge now you have left the scene?

Once bitten twice shy, ive been rearended by a tosspot who promised cash and turned out to be an uninsured jobless migrant. The police werent interested. £500 down.

Witnesses would have been difficult, by the time we'd pulled over and I'd got unharness/helmeted anyone who was anywhere near was miles away.

I've spoken to MK this morning and they've given me an estimate based on worst case (ie new tank required, sikaflexed to the hilt etc). I'm going to take the car down for a more accurate quote once they've seen it in the flesh, show the quote to the guy and get payment before work is actually done.

I'm not up for screwing the guy for all I can get, he wasn't a typical arrogant porker driver type. He lived just round the corner so we swapped details at his house (so I know where he lives!). I just want it sorted to its former glory with minimal fuss.

Perhaps I am being a bit too nice guy/trusting but being in his position (driving an expensive to insure sportscar (my TVR)) I'd like to hope that if it were the other way round I could at least have the option of sorting it out in cash.

Rob Lane - 21/11/05 at 02:42 PM

Not trying to be funny but I'm glad you are an honest person and not out to screw him down.

For those with the clever comments re whiplash. It has happened to my son, he ran into side of a car, drivers swapped details.
Next thing is insurance claim from 4 in car for whiplash !!!! There was only a driver. They even gave wrong date.

Asshole insurance companies will nowadays payup rather than argue.

Upshot is his insurance renewal went up 100% "due to whiplash claim".

Paid the tossers £8k each !!!!!!!!!!