Board logo

Front camber adjusting
Kriss - 24/12/08 at 04:59 PM

Team,

Just cornerweighed the R1. Every think is within 3 kg tolerance which we arehappy with.

next up is tracking and camber, but we struck a bit of a dead end with how to adjust this at the front.

these are my uprights etc.

any pointers?

we tried offering up a ball socket breaker thing, but it seemed too small

austin man - 24/12/08 at 05:02 PM

If your struggling to disconnect the track rod why dont you disconnect the top wishbone and rotate through 360 degrees this is the sam as rotating the track rod end and you wont damage the rubber seal

Kriss - 24/12/08 at 06:13 PM

yeah laurence suggested this but we are then stuck with using only 360 degree increases only. not sure what the pitch is too.

ideally would like to do it the proper way, what do i need, just a bigger ball joint splitter?

austin man - 24/12/08 at 06:26 PM

due to the design you will only ever have 360 degrees to adjust ideally you need to ream out the top threaded section of the wishbone and use an insert they are available on Fleabay Rally Designs etc they allow for incremental adjustment

mad-butcher - 24/12/08 at 07:04 PM

looking at the pics it seems to me the mushroom is facing the wrong way. the idea is to get the upright to lean back as far as possible. meaning the hole needs to be as far forward as possible. some-one will be along in a bit to explain better.reaming it out won't work when you think about it, this was raised in another topic the od of the insert is the same as the od of the threaded bush thats in the wishbone
Tony

[Edited on 24/12/08 by mad-butcher]

mad-butcher - 24/12/08 at 07:14 PM

thought I might have been able to add this to previous reply
Sorry to disagree austin man but adjusting track rod length is not the same as adjusting top ball joint
top ball joint controls camber changes track rod length determines degree of toe in / out on the front wheel
set mushroom up
adjust camber by either removing mushroom from upright and scewing either in or out to give 1 deg neg camber
then adjust track rod for desired toe in/out

[Edited on 24/12/08 by mad-butcher] Rescued attachment mushroom orientation.JPG
Rescued attachment mushroom orientation.JPG

austin man - 24/12/08 at 07:59 PM

sorry I was referring to the top one (ball Joint)not track rod end as i am aware this only alters toe in out etc. Surely the mushroom can have an effect on castor as well if it is eccentric ?

I was suggesting an insert to the rop wishbone to allow more camber adjustment unfortunately reffered to it as a track od not ball join. I blame it on feeling crap good old head cold for Christmas and I bet I dont get any hankies

britishtrident - 24/12/08 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
sorry I was referring to the top one (ball Joint)not track rod end as i am aware this only alters toe in out etc. Surely the mushroom can have an effect on castor as well if it is eccentric ?

Mushroom has zero effect on castor --- alters it not a scintilla (I just wanted an excuse to use that word )

The mushroom orientation has a big effect on KPI

mad-butcher - 24/12/08 at 08:11 PM

Hope you feel better soon, I think it's something like 3/4" difference between hole at front and hole at rear. I think it does have an effect on the the castor angle well it must to really thinking about it but the experts will be along in a minute telling me it's KPI not castor or something along those lines

Tony

matt_claydon - 24/12/08 at 10:16 PM

Castor is the relationship of the BALLJOINTS. Rotating the mushroom does not affect that, but it does change the KPI.

As to the original post, you can only ever change camber by a 360 degree rotation of the balljoint at a time with those wishbones. I find it easier to undo the wishbone-to-chassis bolts and rotate the wishbone rather than split the balljoint/muchroom.

austin man - 24/12/08 at 11:09 PM

if you were to modify the top wishbone to take an insert (not fixed) you would gain incremental adjustment see ebay Item number: 300255544102 this wouls allow adjustmet to the .1 of a degree rather than the 1 to 1.5 of a degree avaliable. There is an amount of modification required but the ultimate is that your car can be set up perfectly

FASTdan - 30/12/08 at 09:22 AM

quote:
rather than the 1 to 1.5 of a degree avaliable.

Is that something that has been calculated? ie 1 turn = 1 deg? It'd be nice to know what effect you are having by adjusting the standard set up. i guess i just need the thread pitch then work it out.

I've been looking at that top bone and wondering if I can do something to make it properly adjustable - seems a shame the way it is.

I wondered if there might be alternative ball joints with longer threads? so you could reem the bone out and use locking nuts either side. I presume the threaded portion of the ball joint is part of the casting - ie you cant just screw it out and replace with a longer item.