Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: headlamp placement PTII
scutter

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
headlamp placement PTII

Have finally got to work on the car last week for a few hours.

Tried to make the headlamp brackets got the height about right but in full bump and on full lock the wings hit the lamps.

My question is this "does the front suspension ever get to full compression?"

Awaiting your answers as always. Dan.
headlamp trail 01
headlamp trail 01

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The cars I've been in, the suspension hardly moves, let alone get to full compression. The question to ask is whether your ever going to have it on full lock, and have the suspension at full compression ??

I would probably feel safe that it wont ever touch (as long as it doesn't touch at full lock, normal compression). But someone may say that it's not allowed.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Peteff

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
If the guard is resting on the tyre as it appears to be it will probably touch earlier when it has a bracket fitted to hold it off the tyre. My theory is that if it can happen it will. My car is a book chassis and my lamps look a lot closer to the nosecone than yours or maybe you could raise the height a little to give you more clearance. If you are cornering hard you will be down on the outside wheel so it will be close.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scutter

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
True Ben, just fretting i suppose, Maybe this picture helps to clarify.

All the best Dan.

headlamp trail 02
headlamp trail 02

[Edited on 3/1/04 by scutter]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't notice his wings weren't fitted... I think i'm now gonna have to say, that it's time to move them lights

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

scutter

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pete the guards are raised 1/2" above the wheels on gloves for spacers.

Do you think i need to raise them any further?

Dan.

rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Headlamp placement

Hello , woudn't it be worth checking out what clearance you have with springs installed?? maybe enough room on full compression then? best of luck , Rusty
scutter

posted on 3/1/04 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'll raise them 1/2" just to be safe.

Thanks for the advice.

The Garage is my old mans barn in norfolk. you could build about 30 locosts in it. not to fret it'll soon be with me in Oxford where the hanger is bigger

All the best Dan.

P.S. still open to any better suggestions of how to mount them lamps

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/1/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Think I have the same problem, but on the other extreem!
I will raise the lamps, and set them a little further back - but not too far, I have a set of carbon indicator pods which attach under the headlamp and point forward about 5". I still need to maintain the 80 degree visibility thing for the SVA Rescued attachment HeadlampLock.jpg
Rescued attachment HeadlampLock.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 4/1/04 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
The higher you mount your lights the better if you ever drive the car at night as it will give a better spread. You could change the angle where the upstand is mounted to the bar and extend it a bit to give you more clearance. Also make sure you have room to get the wheel on and off as with Cortina uprights you will struggle if they are too close fitting.

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 4/1/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dick Axtell

posted on 6/1/04 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon Indicator Pods??

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
...I have a set of carbon indicator pods.../quote]

Hey Mark,
Where did you source these pods? They sound just what I'm looking for.

Dick

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Matthew_1

posted on 6/1/04 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the pic, unless its a funny angled photo the wisbones look way too inclined. With those angles you've got a below ground roll centre. It might be worth jacking up the ride height a bit to try and get the chassis pickup of the lower wishbone horizontal with the upright ball-joint centre - for this to be right you will find the lower wishbone inclined ever so slightly down as you go towards the upright end.

That may help the lamp clearance?

scutter

posted on 6/1/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Matt cheers,

I was creating a worst case example hance no springs fitted.

Good to know about the inclination of the wishbone though.

All the best Dan.

[Edited on 6/1/04 by scutter]

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/1/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I got the pods from exeter show, £22 the pair, not real carbon, but unless you get up close you would not know, they came complete with landrover type lamps and lenses.
I can't find them at the moment or I would post a photo (Do do that - buy up stuff in advance then lose it?)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.