Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How much and how thick?
speedyxjs

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
How much and how thick?

What thickness ali sheet do i need for the chassis?
Im thinking 3mm for the floor and .8 for the bodywork. Is 3mm overkill or could i get away with 2mm?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

graememk

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
steel floor mate .8 for the skin

speedyxjs

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers. What thickness steel?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RazMan

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
2mm for the floor and 1.2mm for the sides

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
i'm not a lover of ali floors, mines steel and seam welded, its not going anywhere. i wouldnt trust a rivited and bonded floor

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
if you have some bracing fitted for the seats then you could use ali for the floor. 3mm sounds fine, thats what I used for my side pods on the 7 and I could stand on them without denting, any thinner and they would have.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
2.0mm ali mate,1@ 8x4 foot should cost you around £40 +vat Rescued attachment DSCN1698.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1698.JPG

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

nick205

posted on 23/4/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
2.0mm for the floor fixed/sealed with PU adhesive and 4mm rivets at 50mm spacing.

I used 1.50mm for the interior panels and battery tray etc. TBH 1.20mm would have been better for these panels as it's easier to cut and shape and lighter too. Fixed and sealed again with PU and 4mm rivets at 50mm spacing.

procomp

posted on 24/4/08 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi 16g is fine for the floor. When was the last time you heard of an alloy floor coming of. Just use the right rivets and sealant.

Cheers Matt

kb58

posted on 24/4/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
0.022" stainless sheet riveted to floor. I used stainless so it wouldn't rust, since if it was regular steel, any paint would get blasted off by gravel and sand. I didn't use aluminum because I wanted better protection.

How thick you make it is completely up to you. Even 0.010" material is plenty for structural strength, the issue though is to prevent rocks or other road debris from coming through the floor. What you you think is the worse thing you'll ever run over is what will dictate what material and how thick to make it.

That said, doing it over again I'd probably use aluminum; stainless is nasty to work with - wear gloves!

[Edited on 4/24/08 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.