Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Making bone brackets
speedyxjs

posted on 15/4/08 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Making bone brackets

What is the easiest way to make wishbone brackets? I cant use the book because jag bones are a bit wider. Do they need to be a tight fit?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mole

posted on 15/4/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
The method I used was as decribed in the book. You cut a stip and drill a hole in one end, then bend (vice + big hammer), then drill all the way through to ensure the holes line up. Then I realised the two I made were crap and bought some. You may not have that option so the best advice I can give is to ensure the strip is 90 degrees with the vice before bending.
Mole

posted on 15/4/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Suitable thickness and size RHS maybe a better option.
Delinquent

posted on 15/4/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Make the brackets oversize, you can then use washers to adjust the fore / aft position of the 'bones to fine set your geometry. Once done just take the washers out and have permanent bushes made up of matching thicknesses.
worX

posted on 15/4/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
It would be very simple to make a jig to allow them all to be made identical and for the holes to line up perfectly.

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Though I haven't make any, I think the success rate of trying to make some without a jig would be rather low

The jigs in the book were nothing more than a sheet of wood with blocks screwed onto it.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 15/4/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I highly recommend not bothering with the book method.... it's a crap method and a pain to do.

Get some square tube of the correct dimensions. Drill the holes you need (a 'U' shape will distort a little when you drill). Then cut out the face of the box you don't need.

Result, nice and square, easy and cheap brackets.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 15/4/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
ello,i make 500@ a time in two sizes if you want some,same as book plus same as my westy's alternatively e-mail me some dims and i'll knock some up for ya
Lazer Cut And C.N.C Folded
wayno!! Rescued attachment DSCN1228.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1228.JPG

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.