Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: G1 and G2 Distances for 2.0 Pinto
VinceGledhill

posted on 4/8/03 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
G1 and G2 Distances for 2.0 Pinto

The book says that G1 and G2 can be moved to accommodate the engine fitment. However, I'm going to build my chassis first and get a donor later. Does someone have the measurements from their car fitted with this engine? I don't want to weld it up, then grind it off and do it again later.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

James

posted on 5/8/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VinceGledhill
The book says that G1 and G2 can be moved to accommodate the engine fitment. However, I'm going to build my chassis first and get a donor later. Does someone have the measurements from their car fitted with this engine? I don't want to weld it up, then grind it off and do it again later.

Hi Vince,

To be honest it depends atleast partially on where and how you decide you want to do your engine mounts.
Just bear in mind that the starter motor gets in the way if you put them too close together.

I can measure mine tonight if you like.

Cheers,

James

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/03 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Vince,

I did exactly what you are doing, but numbnuts didn't ask this question first. I welded the Gees as per book and the fitted the Pinto - and then had to cut out a section. If you put the N/S G 1" outboard, you will be OK The picture shows it all.

I am sure you will be able to help me out soon, I am just about to embark on stripping out my loom Rescued attachment Starter Clearance.jpg
Rescued attachment Starter Clearance.jpg

VinceGledhill

posted on 5/8/03 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys. Thanks for that. So basically I will put G1 one inch towards the outside of the car.

No problem. Great this computer.

If you do have a problem with the wiring then please give me a shout on the mobile 07736 202101 I'll be only too happy to assist where I can.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Jon Ison

posted on 5/8/03 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
why not leave those two out till you have the doner engine, you may even change engine choice by then......

just a thought.

Peteff

posted on 5/8/03 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I put mine far enough apart to drop the engine out downwards if necessary. If you are making your own engine mounts it's not too critical.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

VinceGledhill

posted on 6/8/03 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Good thoughts guys. Making my own engine mounts. Yeah why not.

Steel arives tomorrow. Can't wait.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

jcduroc

posted on 20/9/03 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I put mine far enough apart to drop the engine out downwards if necessary. If you are making your own engine mounts it's not too critical.
yours, Pete.

I've asked Mark Allanson about this in another thread but here it goes:
From the photo he posted in this thread it seems the starter motor is "the" problem especially with the engine mounts. But if these go, let's say, at 45º to the sides instead of going to the lower tubes HOW CLOSE could you have the G tubes? Closer than the book they could come directly from the tunnel to the apex of F-FU-E.

I guess theres's no answer.

[Edited on 23/9/03 by jcduroc]

JCM

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.