Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine mounting rails, ideas please
ProjectX

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Engine mounting rails, ideas please

Hello guys, Just a quick one. Im sure I have seen something posted before but....

Trial fitting engine tonight (good feeling too) but wanna know this.

Drivers side (O/S) straight mounting rail as here!

N/S is this any good?

Triangulated to miss starter etc. Any better ideas?

Cheers Jamie

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
isn't there supposed to be rails where you drew the lines anyway?

EDIT: oh, i see what you mean now, you're putting one in, and wondering about the other side...

I don't know, doesn't seem as strong to me with the triangulation there.

not an ideal solution, but could the engine be raised to clear the rail?

[Edited on 14/3/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

caber

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
The Pinto I have was heavy enough to flex these rails. Some people have doubled them up I chose to add a brace from the rear upper suspension mount to the engine mount plate thus reinforcing both the suspension mount that needs additional support and the engine mount plate. I also added tube under the engine mount plate between the two rails to reduce any twist across the plate even though it is 5mm steel!

Belt and braces maybe but I didn't want the engine continuously flexing these bits of chassis with consequent potential for problems!

Caber

MikeRJ

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectX
N/S is this any good?

It is good in the sense that it's about the best way to maintain the triangulation of the engine bay whilst creating more clearance, but it does mean you have a welded joint in the middle of a tube that is being put under fairly high bending forces. It will probably be fine, but as caber says, mounting the engine directly onto these rails isn't ideal anyway and they do tend to flex a fair bit. Adding extra triangulation as he suggests is a good idea IMO.

Chippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I added flitch plates to mine, plus a brace from the top rail down to the engine mounting. Think there are one or two pictures in my archive that show them. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Peteff

posted on 15/3/07 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
I doubled up on the bottom rail at the front then ran the engine support rail from further back to get more width and I made the front of the tunnel wider as well. Rescued attachment enginemountpositionsn_s.jpg
Rescued attachment enginemountpositionsn_s.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Guinness

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert (mine has a loverly light bike engine), but if I was going to mount a car engine I'd do it like this:-

mikes suggestion
mikes suggestion

HTH

Mike

ProjectX

posted on 15/3/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all these ideas! Not sure what ill do yet but at least i have a sensible idea! Beer to all

Cheers J

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.